Post your labels here

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How's that Viognier tasting and when did you start it?

I started it in March of 2017, so it's just shy of a year old. It's tasting pretty good, but I know it has much better with at least another year. Originally it was very fruit-forward with pear flavors. The pear is still there, but much more mellow with more warm earthy type flavors coming forward. If it continues with this trend, I think next year about this time. It will be very good. I'm pretty happy with it so far. It's definitely trending in the right direction.

Well aside from all the secret de-coder ring stuff I really like how clean looking the label is. Simple and balanced is harder to accomplish than most people realize.
Nice, Mike

Thanks Mike. I appreciate it.

Thanks!

I couldn't locate Viognier grapes or a juice bucket at the time, but I really wanted to start one. I went with the RJ Spagnols En Primeur Winery Series Italian Viognier Winemaking Kit.

The interesting thing about the '73 on the label is. That is the name of the wine, and it was named such for two reasons. One is, '73 is the year of my birth. (a good vintage as I like to say!) Second is, I am a ham! (K1SZO is my call)

For those that do not know, in ham radio. "73" basically is a short-hand salutation. You sign off a conversation with someone on the radio with "73". It basically means "Best Regards". So in a sense, I named the wine. "Best Regards" I just used a esoteric short-hand term rather than the actual words.

That's great that you were able to deduce that! I only know of one other ham on this site. @Trevor7

73, David :D

Humor my ignorance, but is 88 anything?

I couldn't locate Viognier grapes or a juice bucket at the time, but I really wanted to start one. I went with the RJ Spagnols En Primeur Winery Series Italian Viognier Winemaking Kit.

Interesting! I didn't even know that Italy grew any Viognier. I then went searching for some info, and found this passage below. Prior to this passage, Jancis Robinson was explaining how Viognier fell so far out of favor, that it was almost extinct in its native France, and was not grown anywhere else, for that matter. (See https://www.jancisrobinson.com/learn/grape-varieties/white/viognier ).

The variety is now encountered as a particularly fragrant and usually full-bodied varietal white wine all over the world. In Italy it was pioneered by Ascheri in Piemonte and d'Alessandro of Manzano in Tuscany who, like others, has demonstrated how very well Viognier blends with Chardonnay - especially Chardonnay that is reasonably high in acidity. In Austria the leading Viognier exponent is Graf Hardegg of the Weinviertel, while Henri Cruchon leads the field in Switzerland. All over Europe growers are experimenting with this distinctive and intriguing variety.

Interesting! I didn't even know that Italy grew any Viognier. I then went searching for some info, and found this passage below. Prior to this passage, Jancis Robinson was explaining how Viognier fell so far out of favor, that it was almost extinct in its native France, and was not grown anywhere else, for that matter. (See https://www.jancisrobinson.com/learn/grape-varieties/white/viognier ).

I have to credit @Boatboy24 (Jim) with the idea of making a Viognier. I heard him mention his Viognier batch and I had never tried Viognier before. So I went to my local wine shop and they only had two and only one wasn't a blend $12 bottle. I brought it home and was extremely happy with it. (especially for the price) The only other Viognier they had was a Chardonnay blend and I was very pleased with it also.

That's how Viognier ended up in my carboy! Thanks Jim! :db

View attachment 46869 I’ve used this site a few times. Most gigs cost between $5-$15, rarely disappointed. I’ll fashion all my labels around this design this year. This was the first pass, the final pass had golden grapes for the Chardonnay label.

I've been thinking of using them but was hesitant because I didn't think you knew who you will get. I also thought you could get ones you could modify so you could use the same picture but change the wording. Did you ask for the same person when you used them after the first time?

I've been thinking of using them but was hesitant because I didn't think you knew who you will get. I also thought you could get ones you could modify so you could use the same picture but change the wording. Did you ask for the same person when you used them after the first time?

Yes, you choose whom you want to do the work. It was $5 for the design, $10 for the modifiable artwork. I had him do two, one for reds, one for whites. I’ll then modify for the different varietals.

Yes, you choose whom you want to do the work. It was $5 for the design, $10 for the modifiable artwork. I had him do two, one for reds, one for whites. I’ll then modify for the different varietals.

So $30.00 for 2 different labels you can use over and over. That sounds like a pretty good deal to me. What paper is it designed to work with? Could they do it based on Avery label paper?

I used the person "paintbrush101" You can search for him by user name and look at the "gigs" he offers. It wasn't real clear, but for $5 he does the design, but if you want to purchase the graphic file that you will need to then create labels, that will be an additional $10. A bargain still. He takes your input, examples and any graphics you want included.

Back