Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No way this is a Tylenol day.

For sure an Aleve day all the way! :db

Hail Seizure! šŸ¤£Moved wood to the job site from the storage area and worked on the deck until my muscles seized up really well. I figured they would, after yesterday crawling under the house and now 7 hours of this, so took a bunch of magnesium this morning, Didn't help. Wifie helped me out big-time at the end by gathering up my tools, as I was literally nearing incoherence. Fortunately, acetaminophen and Jameson are helping now. Still seizing some as I type, though.

View attachment 102077

This is a busy little area, near the house. The 2x4s will carry a summertime water pipe to get wifie's plant water to the other side of the deck from the house spigot. There will be an electrical outlet coming up the railing post on the far end. Drilled through the concrete rock joints yesterday for it. Need to drill through the wood for it and then mount the next joist up. The 2x6 is sistered because I had to notch the 2x8 joist to allow full ingress for the access panel.

View attachment 102078

One thing about it, this baby is 100% square! I insist that decks I build are fully supported underneath, so everything has to be square. There is no fudge room. But I have seen what happens long-term to those decks where the outer 16 inches around the perimeter is unsupported. Man, on some of them after a few years, you can wobble the railing posts back and forth. Not for me.

Might get a few more joists in tomorrow. I have an afternoon meeting so I can't go balls to the wall like today, lol...

Glad I don't live in NY or Cali, then. There are legit concerns about the large number of asthma cases proven to be caused by gas appliances, though. But banning them, nah. I doubt it can stick. Wouldn't hurt me either way. All electric, except the furnace.

No propane. I've just decided to get rid of my charcoal kettle and smoker. Replaced them both with this pellet pooper.

Wish you were closer. I will never cook outdoors with anything but charcoal or wood. I have a like new gas grill, used five times. Once I got the Weber kettle, nuff said.

Last edited:
Wish you were closer. I will never cook outdoors with anything but charcoal or wood. I have a like new gas grill, used five times. Once I got the Weber kettle, nuff said.

The Weber kettle is the most versatile cooker out there. You can't go wrong with one, once you learn some very simple fire management. Just ask @geek. I still remember when he first got his and wasn't sure about it. Now he's turning out drool-worthy steaks.

The Weber kettle is the most versatile cooker out there. You can't go wrong with one, once you learn some very simple fire management. Just ask @geek. I still remember when he first got his and wasn't sure about it. Now he's turning out drool-worthy steaks.

I've been smoking meats on smokers I built for decades. I bought the gas grill more than 15 years ago to replace one I had. A friend told me to buy the Weber, and once I used charcoal, I would never go back. Bought the kettle and a chimney. The gas grill has been under a cover in my outbuilding since. About 5 total uses. I grill at least once a week, 52 weeks a year on that Weber, typically on a Sunday.

Of late, I've been experimenting with speeded-up smoking techniques using the Weber, like those beef ribs I posted recently. Lots less work than traditional wood smoking, same results if it goes well.

I never felt the need, but the kettle rings and other accessories make it even more versatile. I agree, it is quite the design, which is why they haven't changed it other than to cheapen the materials over the years.

The only neater thing I've ever used is a cast iron Dutch oven. Cooking with 6-12 briquettes on the lid is amazing. But that's not grilling/smoking.

Again. Varis. Nobody is TAKING ANYTHING AWAY.......

They are trying to ban NG in NEW DEVELOPMENTS.

And they are already losing in the courts.

OH YES THEY ARE! You need to change your TV channel, Mike, and you'll learn all about it. :p

Anyway, never gonna happen, though like I say, the science is solid about asthma and new homes are tighter and tighter built. My MIL died of COPD, after living in a house heated with unvented propane heaters, and we always wondered... Watching her drowning for lack of air at the end will keep me from having unvented gas appliances in my house, no matter what "they" do.

Again. Varis. Nobody is TAKING ANYTHING AWAY.......

They are trying to ban NG in NEW DEVELOPMENTS.

And they are already losing in the courts.
Technically, they are trying to ban gas appliances. If you ban them from new construction then you are left with a customer base that is upgrading or repairing their existing appliances. Essentially killing the market.

Manufacturers will have no motivation to keep a gas line available if it is not profitable.

So to give Varis credit, they are trying to take them away.. From you, BUT especially the next generation.

Trying to ban something on the premise of adding to Asthma cases demonstrates a larger agenda. Otherwise clear warnings to potential purchasers would suffice to ensure people are making informed decisions.

There are currently 70,000,000 homes in the US that have NG to the house and (2) States currently trying to pass a law that all new housing subdivisions be all electric. I think the market for gas appliances and furnaces for that matter will be around for as long as we have oil (and NG) to pump out of the ground. All electric subdivisions have been around for 30+ years here in the US as they are cheaper to build (one less utility to run) and thus more profitable for the homebuilder in the end.

Technically, they are trying to ban gas appliances. If you ban them from new construction then you are left with a customer base that is upgrading or repairing their existing appliances. Essentially killing the market.

Manufacturers will have no motivation to keep a gas line available if it is not profitable.

So to give Varis credit, they are trying to take them away.. From you, BUT especially the next generation.

Trying to ban something on the premise of adding to Asthma cases demonstrates a larger agenda. Otherwise clear warnings to potential purchasers would suffice to ensure people are making informed decisions.

I agree, that is where we are now. Propane is a byproduct of the oil industry so it is completely illogical to do away with it.

Laval Quebec in Canada is the first to ban it in new construction, here. So again it makes you question the real motives.

Excellent brand.

I always wanted to get a pellet unit, letā€™s see a brisket in that ā€œanimalā€ Jim šŸ˜œšŸ˜œ

Latest posts

Back