Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So many cocoa and coconut trees.
I've read that the USA gets a fraction of the banana varieties, as many don't travel as well or are not as "pretty".

Appearance is big -- I used to get grade B bananas -- the quality was as good, but they were not uniform in size and color, e.g., not as pretty. But they were cheaper. The funniest one was a bunch of 5 bananas where the one in the middle was nearly twice as long as they others. It looked like it was flipping people off. 🤣

I frequent the Raleigh Farmer's Market, and years ago a farmer had a sign on her table: "these are the ugliest tomatoes, but they taste the best". Yup -- they were Frankentomatoes, ugly and misshapen. But they were honestly the most delicious.

I've read that the USA gets a fraction of the banana varieties, as many don't travel as well or are not as "pretty".

Appearance is big -- I used to get grade B bananas -- the quality was as good, but they were not uniform in size and color, e.g., not as pretty. But they were cheaper. The funniest one was a bunch of 5 bananas where the one in the middle was nearly twice as long as they others. It looked like it was flipping people off. 🤣

I frequent the Raleigh Farmer's Market, and years ago a farmer had a sign on her table: "these are the ugliest tomatoes, but they taste the best". Yup -- they were Frankentomatoes, ugly and misshapen. But they were honestly the most delicious.

IIRC, bananas are basically a monoculture globally. Cavendish. Just waiting for the next fungus to wipe out the lot!

In that pic there are "green bananas" (they call it guineos verdes, basically the ones they boil and eat as is or smah), "regular" plantains and something you probably never heard of before....rulo. Rulo is another vierity of plaintain and is softer.

In that pic there are "green bananas" (they call it guineos verdes, basically the ones they boil and eat as is or smah), "regular" plantains and something you probably never heard of before....rulo. Rulo is another vierity of plaintain and is softer.
A roommate taught me about plantains (he's from Miami FL, American with Cuban roots). I recently purchased plantains for the first time in years, letting them ripen on the counter. Not sure what it's called, but I cut them in 2" sections, browned 'em, let 'em cool, smashed 'em flat and fried 'em again. Delicious!

Availability varies so much by area. I grew up in the Utica-Rome area of NY, which has strong Italian and Polish extraction. I miss the Italian markets and the only good pierogi I've had since moving south is when I visit relatives. Conversely, I learned to love Carolina pulled pork and collards. :)

I received a Canadian quarter in change recently. Growing up in NY, it was common to get Canadian coins in change, but in NC (700+ miles south) it's a rarity. But I didn't pay a lot of attention, and tried to use it at Aldi's to get a cart (gotta put a quarter in to get a shopping cart, and ya get the quarter back when returning the cart to the corral). Except it didn't fit in the slot. So I used an American quarter.

When I got home, I looked at the quarter and realized it wasn't Canadian -- it was a Chinese 1 yi yuan coin, roughly $0.15 USD.

Cool. I expected to see the odd coin was Canadian, so that is what I saw. I (obviously) have to pay better attention. I'm a sporadic coin collector and I'm keeping this one.

yi yuan.jpg

Latest posts

Back