Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need to make a compost bin. I have a tumbler and a cage I throw the overflow in. For the amount we take out the return is very minimal. We must be feeding something.
I bought one of those compost tumblers years ago. Worked great but it made a ridiculously small and useless amount.

I have 3 6x6 bins connected. Yard waste, kitchen waste, non-glossy paper go in the outer ones. I use compressed wood pellets (like for a wood burner) in the litter boxes. It falls apart from the urine, great source of nitrogen, into the piles. My 5-6 ft high piles will shrink to about 3 ft and I'll transfer the outer bins to the center (no fun) and it's always been ready the next growing season. Compost thermometer is extremely useful.

I'm amazed at what some places try to sell as compost.

If you have the time to throw something together it would certainly be worth it.

Wow, no messing around - straight to the nuclear option.
That's for normal spiders -- for big ones, I use the double 10. 🙃

An acquaintance who served in the US Army talked about the spiders he had seen around the world. <shudder!>

NC is full of a wide variety of spiders, but none of them are that big -- the largest I've seen had a 3 or 4 inch diameter counting the legs, but the body was at most 1/2" long. It was iridescent and (very odd coming from me) beautiful. Other than that the only large ones I see are wolf spiders in the yard, which are maybe 1-1/2" long, counting the legs. Don't like 'em, but I generally leave 'em alone.

My favorite hat, a relic from my younger son's 4 years in marching band, is beat. I'm not really a hat person, but I'm thinning on top (that's a truthful but generous statement), and having sunburned my scalp once, I wear a hat outside. This hat is 10 yo.

hat-1.jpg

Mrs WM81 said I needed to retire it to become a yard hat. As much as it pains me, she's right. That hat is beat -- faded and sweat stained. [dark spots on bill are water] But it needs cleaning, so I tried an experiment -- I soaked it in Oxyclean for 1 hour:

hat-2.jpg

Ok, the hat is still beat -- but it looks a LOT better. Not good enough to not publicly embarrass my wife, but good enough for visits to Lowes and Home Depot ...

The inside shows the original color, which doesn't fade.

hat-3.jpg

I bought one of those compost tumblers years ago. Worked great but it made a ridiculously small and useless amount.

I have 3 6x6 bins connected. Yard waste, kitchen waste, non-glossy paper go in the outer ones. I use compressed wood pellets (like for a wood burner) in the litter boxes. It falls apart from the urine, great source of nitrogen, into the piles. My 5-6 ft high piles will shrink to about 3 ft and I'll transfer the outer bins to the center (no fun) and it's always been ready the next growing season. Compost thermometer is extremely useful.

I'm amazed at what some places try to sell as compost.

If you have the time to throw something together it would certainly be worth it.

We have had a compost heap for over 30 years. Cinder blocks turned on their sides so it gets air, hardware cloth wire inside them. I have a Trac-Vac, so every year we fill it with shredded leaves, and all our non-meat food waste goes in, too. We never turn it anymore since we found out it works either way, lol, so we just add to the top. Boy, the stuff at the bottom is the best you can get. I'm not an organic purist, so I toss a handful of 34-0-0 on top of the pile before a rain every once in a while when I think of it, and that helps speed up the effort, just like yeast nutrient does in wine. :D

Well I don’t think a flip flop is up to the task.

Used to visit my cousins at their farm in Missouri. They'd be walking down the dirt road with me, except they were in bare feet! Stepped on every Black widow spider they came across. I was amazed; they were like meh. I find black widows all the time around my farm here in TN, but I still won't step on them with bare feet! 🤣

It looks to me like yours is a wolf spider, though, a beneficial predator.

In high school my son auditioned for the Junior Triangle Brass Band, the high school edition of a local brass performance group. We were pleased that he passed the audition and was accepted.

During each performance, the conductor (who was his private tuba instructor) explained what each instrument is, and a chosen player would hold up their instrument for inspection. Most of the people did it kind of half-heartedly, even with the small instruments.

My son & his compatriots had a better idea. When the tubas were called upon, the entire section pressed their instruments above their heads and held them there. 🤣

bench pressing tubas.jpg

Latest posts

Back