Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We got close to 3" last night and it's currently 24 F. For Raleigh, that's a lot of snow and it's PFC.

One week when I was in high school, the high temperature in the morning was -43 F. I checked the thermometer on the barn before walking out to the bus stop -- for that week, the high temperature was -39 F. This wasn't normal -- while we did get down into the minus teens, "normal" was typically between 10 F and 30 F in the winter.

For Raleigh, ice is a MUCH larger problem -- we didn't get it, but farther east did.

snow.jpg

FYI -- PFC = Pretty Freaking | Frogging | <your choice of F word> Cold

Last edited:
My home town didn't get that much snow, compared to neighboring towns. A town in our district, 15 miles west, got easily double the snow. They are near the Tug Hill Plateau, which makes Hoth look hospitable. Friends laughed about ducking the power lines when going to the barn, and the town didn't have many snow plows -- they had industrial snow blowers. Driving through there in the winter was like driving through a tunnel, with walls of snow 12' to 18' high on either side. Snow plows wouldn't push the snow far enough from the road and when the banks built up, the roads clogged. Snow blowers blew the snow farther back, and would blow over the banks when they built up. I've seen pictures of other places that use blowers for this reason.

My dad worked at an atmospheric test site in the 50's and 60's, which was out in the boondocks (way away from most things). He recalled the V-plow that was used to clear the roads -- it was massive compared to current trucks used by the DMVs in the USA today (taller and longer). I saw the truck once when I was little, but haven't found a picture of anything like it. I never saw it in action, but my dad said the driver had a full load of sand (for weight) and he'd get the truck up to 45-50 MPH, and drive down the middle of the road, and snow would fly 100+ feet out into the fields in both directions.

He also told a story of driving home one night before the plow came through. He stopped, got out of the car, realized he was in the middle of a field and had no idea where the road was. So he backed up along his tracks until he found the road. Some how he managed to stay on the road after that.

I had to post this. Maybe it belongs in memes, but it fits the current conversation!

Folks in northern climes cannot successfully poke fun at southerners, as we are already doing it ourselves! I'm surprised I haven't seen a dozen copies of this on social media this morning -- everyone posts it. 😄

The funniest part about this? It's absolutely true!

snow in deep south.jpg

My home town didn't get that much snow, compared to neighboring towns. A town in our district, 15 miles west, got easily double the snow. They are near the Tug Hill Plateau, which makes Hoth look hospitable. Friends laughed about ducking the power lines when going to the barn, and the town didn't have many snow plows -- they had industrial snow blowers. Driving through there in the winter was like driving through a tunnel, with walls of snow 12' to 18' high on either side. Snow plows wouldn't push the snow far enough from the road and when the banks built up, the roads clogged. Snow blowers blew the snow farther back, and would blow over the banks when they built up. I've seen pictures of other places that use blowers for this reason.

My dad worked at an atmospheric test site in the 50's and 60's, which was out in the boondocks (way away from most things). He recalled the V-plow that was used to clear the roads -- it was massive compared to current trucks used by the DMVs in the USA today (taller and longer). I saw the truck once when I was little, but haven't found a picture of anything like it. I never saw it in action, but my dad said the driver had a full load of sand (for weight) and he'd get the truck up to 45-50 MPH, and drive down the middle of the road, and snow would fly 100+ feet out into the fields in both directions.

He also told a story of driving home one night before the plow came through. He stopped, got out of the car, realized he was in the middle of a field and had no idea where the road was. So he backed up along his tracks until he found the road. Some how he managed to stay on the road after that.
I’ve seen it in the UP when the snow banks would get high enough some people would lay boards across them so the snow would pile up on top making a tunnel! no more shoveling!

Better! Pero donde esta la playa!

Not yet but should’ve been there already, this may be the longest weekend in the DR as they combine 2 national holidays around the weekend, so everyone is off Friday through Tuesday 🤣🤣

Oldest daughter and I went to Zona Colonial, so much culture and history..!!!
Ruins from early on when Christopher Columbus discovered this continent when arrived at this island then called La Hispaniola/
One of the following pics show the very first church in the continent founded here in the DR, called “Catedral primada de America”, it feels like going back in history.

E6F264BD-A7BF-4EB3-B367-8DEA5D7B137F.jpegBDB98B63-5F6A-4920-9AF5-17C2758B3185.jpeg13FA04B9-4D31-4275-939B-1518446E1060.jpeg2DD731C6-7C6A-4688-BB8F-ECCB07E3A697.jpeg166F5209-8E5C-4E36-99F4-4B077117F781.jpeg7A1D108B-36B9-49A1-AFFF-0624E6AAAA77.jpegDADD7B75-02EC-4381-B0B0-5DFA32CF5653.jpeg3A8C02FD-2356-4107-902D-71FD5935F8EE.jpeg680B29BD-8548-406A-BF00-AD2360554F19.jpeg46F7D0D6-8B2E-4848-AC86-498E486885E7.jpeg

Oldest daughter and I went to Zona Colonial, so much culture and history..!!!
Ruins from early on when Christopher Columbus discovered this continent when arrived at this island then called La Hispaniola/
One of the following pics show the very first church in the continent founded here in the DR, called “Catedral primada de America”, it fe
which continent ?
if you're talking about north america,
WELL since the Cherokee, Cheyenne and Comanche, only lost after others came over,, my ancestors have lived here for many a year before Columbus came by, and he was centuries behind, the chinese, vikings, the templars and a long strand before that, your pictures are very beautiful,
very nice indeed,
Skoal
Dawg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back