Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While the West is bone dry, all we've had this year here in TN is rain. So, we broke a hay harvest record this year, over 31 years of farming. The previous record was 86 total round bales, counting spring and fall cutting. This year, we got 95. That's more than 52 tons of hay off 10 acres. We could have had even more, I;m convinced, if we could have cut three times but the rain just did not allow it.

I spent Saturday-Monday getting my half of the fall cutting up and over-seeding pastures with ryegrass for winter forage. Now ready for winter in the feed department. Today I'm just relaxing to get myself back in shape to go back to the job tomorrow. Pretty darned tired.

hay.JPG

NC is indeed a beautiful state, hands down.

I wish I had time to meetup with a couple winemakers who live in NC, @winemaker81 comes to mind, and a Tesla YouTuber I follow for a long time, maybe next time because I flew into Charlotte but drove down to Rock Hill, SC for a business trip.
I was only there once. A 5" snowfall in January 1982 crippled the whole area!! lol

I was only there once. A 5" snowfall in January 1982 crippled the whole area!! lol
5" is complete overkill. The Raleigh area only needs 1/2" snow to shut down. ;)

To be fair, we get "real" snow only every few years (I'm from Upstate NY, went to college in Potsdam), so we don't have the equipment nor the practice to develop the skills to use the equipment if we had it. So when it snows, we stay home!

5" is complete overkill. The Raleigh area only needs 1/2" snow to shut down. ;)

To be fair, we get "real" snow only every few years (I'm from Upstate NY, went to college in Potsdam), so we don't have the equipment nor the practice to develop the skills to use the equipment if we had it. So when it snows, we stay home!

Yep, here in southern TN/northern AL, just the THREAT of a 1" or greater snowfall is shutdown time - NO POSSIBLE WAY people can make it to work. (But if you sneak by the liquor store, the parking lot will be JAMMED!) 🤣 If it is over 3" then things are getting serious. It usually snows one day and is melted by the end of the next one.

Our average annual snowfall is 1", and that's fine with me. I did my time growing up in northern Illinois, where it takes a foot to keep things from running right along. I don't miss the snow.

I did my time growing up in northern Illinois, where it takes a foot to keep things from running right along. I don't miss the snow.
My last winter in Rochester NY, we had snowfalls dropping 6" each night for 3 nights. All it did was slow traffic down. Yes, 18" total snowfall in 3 days.

But northern and western NY (like many northern regions) has the equipment, personnel, and experience in snow removal. Plows were out almost as soon as the snow hits.

I love seeing snow! [on TV, not out my window!]

My last winter in Rochester NY, we had snowfalls dropping 6" each night for 3 nights. All it did was slow traffic down. Yes, 18" total snowfall in 3 days.

But northern and western NY (like many northern regions) has the equipment, personnel, and experience in snow removal. Plows were out almost as soon as the snow hits.

I love seeing snow! [on TV, not out my window!]

Yeah, 6" at a time is nothing in northern Illinois. It has to be greater than 10 inches and fall in a very short time to start to get some attention. When I first started working in Huntsville, Ala., I followed a flatbed state truck on the access road to the work parking lot. Salt had been piled on it, and two guys were literally KICKING it off the back with their boots. I couldn't believe my eyes. Now, it's better. TN adopted brining the road about a decade ago, and AL has been doing it on a limited basis for the past 5 years. Many's the time I left my TN home doing 60 mph on a nice clear highway only to have it turn to two tracks on the ice at the state line. A pre-storm brining is good for up to 6 inches of snow.

I used to travel to Rochester, NY almost every week and I was amazed at how well that city could remove feet of snow in hours so fast that it was hard to understand how much snow was in gardens and on roofs (and many driveways) when the roads and sidewalks were so clear.

Pix of the headwaters of Campers Creek Branch as they leave my farm. These are the creek headwaters, now! This lil creek was dry on Friday. Check out the fence wire. It is almost 4 feet deep now! We have had steady hard rain for two solid days, supposed to rain hard until at least Monday afternoon. No lie, my septic tank is full. My well is running dirt-tinged water because the water table has risen to near ground level. Seen it before, but this is one of the worst. I just over seeded that pasture. Half of that is washed away. What-a-time!

sept 2021 4.JPG

sept 2021 1.JPG

sept 2021 2.JPG

sept 2021 3.JPG

sept 2021 5.JPG

sept 2021 6.JPG

sept 2021 7.JPG

Here’s a pic of my transformer pole, broken in half, wires across my driveway and front yard, I’m trapped. Genny is running on natural gas, so we’re OK, got full power, A/C, and wine as long as the gas line stays active. May be days before the power company can cut me out. Worst of the storm yet to come.View attachment 78072
WOW you people do it like them down under people
all joshing aside hope yawl stay safe
God Bless
Dawg

Pix of the headwaters of Campers Creek Branch as they leave my farm. These are the creek headwaters, now! This lil creek was dry on Friday. Check out the fence wire. It is almost 4 feet deep now! We have had steady hard rain for two solid days, supposed to rain hard until at least Monday afternoon. No lie, my septic tank is full. My well is running dirt-tinged water because the water table has risen to near ground level. Seen it before, but this is one of the worst. I just over seeded that pasture. Half of that is washed away. What-a-time!

View attachment 78909

View attachment 78910

View attachment 78911

View attachment 78912

View attachment 78913

View attachment 78914

View attachment 78915
remember empty bottles float, so drink up,

stay safe,
Dawg

While the West is bone dry, all we've had this year here in TN is rain. So, we broke a hay harvest record this year, over 31 years of farming. The previous record was 86 total round bales, counting spring and fall cutting. This year, we got 95. That's more than 52 tons of hay off 10 acres. We could have had even more, I;m convinced, if we could have cut three times but the rain just did not allow it.

I spent Saturday-Monday getting my half of the fall cutting up and over-seeding pastures with ryegrass for winter forage. Now ready for winter in the feed department. Today I'm just relaxing to get myself back in shape to go back to the job tomorrow. Pretty darned tired.

View attachment 78716
i live just past the west edge of TN. and yep they are hurting, but 100 miles past that border hare in AR and up a litte higher then memphis . we did like your area, most here have no more barns or hay lots, all are full, i've seen mixed short grass for $20, good feescue grass, for $15,, but so many bought hay, that now prices are back to normal,,
but a 100 mile or so above me all summer was dry, but now kinda to late tons of rain,

Dawg,

Latest posts

Back