Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
plus it slows the bush hog down noticeably when you hit it in the field
My dad had what, at the time, was the heaviest duty bush hog available. That puppy would mow down small trees. We had a swampy area filled with "alder brush" up to 4 inches in diameter, and he just backed over them, sending chunks flying. With brush gone, the area dried up.

My dad called the trees "alder brush", but I have no idea what the correct name is. I looked up "alder" and nothing looked like what I remember, which is a very soft wood that had multiple trunks growing from a single base.

Sounds like it could have been of the Autumn or Russian Olive variety. They will take over a field in these parts, if left alone. And they grow very quickly. I mow the small ones, bush hog the medium size ones, or use the front loader to just push the larger ones out of the ground (they have a weak root system). And they are loaded with berries that birds love to eat, guarantying next years crop wherever birds do their business. They are considered an invasive species and I have to pull them up around the vines every year.

Prickly pear does well in Ohio as well. Yucca also is found in many areas here (plus it slows the bush hog down noticeably when you hit it in the field).

Totally unrelated, but humorous, at least to me.

My wife and I were at a plant store recently and I pointed at something and said, you know, I bet those would look good all along our back fence. My wife looked at me and asked if I was out of my mind. Her mom had planted Yucca (the plant I pointed at) and then when she was removing them cussed them and them damn roots that go all the way to hell and back.

My wife and I were at a plant store recently and I pointed at something and said, you know, I bet those would look good all along our back fence. My wife looked at me and asked if I was out of my mind. Her mom had planted Yucca (the plant I pointed at) and then when she was removing them cussed them and them damn roots that go all the way to hell and back.
Absolutely true. They are nearly impossible to kill. A customer's dad asked us to transplant some "sentimental" Yucca plants from his home in the suburbs to his newly built home in our area. It pained me to do it knowing how hard they would be to remove later. I love the "hell and back" reference. Thanks for that @cmason1957 !

You guys are all so cute with your little token Cacti....😄😄. I had to negotiate a whole bunch of those little stickers in the dark last night to try to catch the Strawberry Moonrise. Thought the clouds were going to beat me but at the very last minute they cleared enough to get this shot. Blended three different exposures to get the foreground, moon and sky fairly consistent.
StrawberryMoonTuzigoot.jpg

True! I found that out when I tried to move a good size Yucca once. I gave up before I ever got it out of the ground.

You guys are all so cute with your little token Cacti....😄😄. I had to negotiate a whole bunch of those little stickers in the dark last night to try to catch the Strawberry Moonrise. Thought the clouds were going to beat me but at the very last minute they cleared enough to get this shot. Blended three different exposures to get the foreground, moon and sky fairly consistent.
View attachment 75929
But.... but..... I don't see any cacti! 😁

Latest posts

Back