Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So did they go for the plastic or spring for the look and feel of "real wood".......... LOL

Plastic all the way - exactly what I would have done. I don't know what they're paying in total, but they did say it was less than a $2k difference. You make that back in a few years just with the cost of power washing, staining and sealing.

As a general contractor for many years, most every deck had problems with the bones under the deck. The framing in contact areas was commonly rotted. Plastic decking is still on wood framing. Plastic decking takes more support than 2x decking. Try to keep the wood dry at contact points with tar paper or metal.

As a general contractor for many years, most every deck had problems with the bones under the deck. The framing in contact areas was commonly rotted. Plastic decking is still on wood framing. Plastic decking takes more support than 2x decking. Try to keep the wood dry at contact points with tar paper or metal.

Hey, two comments, one question:

The big problem here in the South is that plastic is HOT! You get 3 months of 90-95 on it, with nights at 80-85. that stuff becomes scorching.

For all you wood deck folks, my nephew has an extensive pool/deck/covered deck area. He got tired of staining it all the time, used One Time, and says he has not done it since. Looks great!

My question: What do you think of floating decks built on those concrete 6x6 retainers? Lots of them going up now here in the South, but I can't see how that's as good as a 6x6 pier deck. For one thing it would move up and down with the ground in winter. We don't get much frost heave here, but there's some.

Screen Shot 2021-05-30 at 6.07.17 PM.png

Spent the weekend in Boone, NC. The road to the house we rented was very narrow and winding, including several hairpin curves ... with a long steep drop on one side.

The picture may not truly represent the slope of the driveway, which approached 40 degrees. When I parked the car, I put on the emergency brake, pointed the wheels to the left towards a large rock (better a dented bumper if the brake fails than rolling down the driveway into the trees), and used a large decorative rock as a chock to keep the car from rolling.

The rental brochure stated a 4 wheel drive vehicle is required to rent in the winter ... ain't no $&#*ing way I'd drive there in bad weather!

However, the house was beautiful, spacious, and well maintained. It was great for a family get-together.

Boone House 04.jpg

Spent the weekend in Boone, NC. The road to the house we rented was very narrow and winding, including several hairpin curves ... with a long steep drop on one side.

The picture may not truly represent the slope of the driveway, which approached 40 degrees. When I parked the car, I put on the emergency brake, pointed the wheels to the left towards a large rock (better a dented bumper if the brake fails than rolling down the driveway into the trees), and used a large decorative rock as a chock to keep the car from rolling.

The rental brochure stated a 4 wheel drive vehicle is required to rent in the winter ... ain't no $&#*ing way I'd drive there in bad weather!

However, the house was beautiful, spacious, and well maintained. It was great for a family get-together.

View attachment 75105

Reminds me of a place in Black Mountain called High Rock Rentals. Really nice folks, but yer gonna drive up and down and around.

Back