Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I follow my Grandma DiIulio's recipe, it starts with tomatoes and takes two days. If I follow my version, it starts with Hunts cans and takes 6-7 hours. Both taste identical. I just don't have 8 hours everyday in the kitchen like she used to spend. Over 90% of what she made and served was from Grandpa's garden (which took up the whole backyard) or from scratch ingredients. I remember as a small boy seeing every flat surface in her kitchen covered with white dish towels so the noodles she'd made could dry on them. Grandma died in 1968, and this and a meatball recipe are all of hers I have. My cousins have more but they will not share and it took awhile to get these. Mom could also cook well, and I have a few of her recipes that I collected while I was in college. My Dad gave the rest to my niece, who also refuses to share. Sigh...

Grandma and Grandpa DiIulio, from a home movie shot in 1965 or '66. A long way from Campana, Calabria, Italy.

View attachment 71705
We don't spend multiple days on a single batch of tomato sauce, but we do make several gallons a year from our garden, as well as other canned stuff.

Neither my parents or my wife's parents did this, but both of our grandparents did.

Attachments

• 20180822_203749.jpg
    20180822_203749.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 30
If the weather cooperates I'm planning on trying to shoot the milky way this weekend. New moon, Full Arc, low but should span about 150 or 160 degrees out in the flat of the valley. I found this cool looking abandoned cattle ramp and pen this morning just a couple of miles off a main road and think I'll try to incorporate it somehow in the foreground.
CattleRampSmall copy.jpg

Back out at the cattle pen today to test a different angle and a full 180degree field. I think this works, this one is cropped side to side, and will work if the clouds go away. Right now it looks like I have from about 3 to 5am tomorrow morn and then we're cloudy for a week or more. I had fun with a little heavy handed Photoshopping with this trying to make it more dramatic. It's made up of 9 vertical frames shot at 17mm and stitched together.
cattlePenForeground copy.jpg

Right now it looks like I have from about 3 to 5am I had fun with a little heavy handed Photoshopping with this trying to make it more dramatic. It's made up of 9 vertical frames shot at 17mm and stitched together.
View attachment 72380
[/QUOTE]
Some GREAT stitching going on
hope the weather is good for you...

CattleRampwMW.jpg

The weather cooperated overnight so I finished up the cattle ramp Milky Way project this am. I went out about 3am and got the sky shot around 4:30. It was 30 something degrees out but I went ahead and set up and shot the ramp again from a different angle just as the the sun was coming up. Took about 3 hours to stack and edit the Milky Way, merge the pano foreground and then merge the sky and ground together. I'm really proud of the way it all came together, time to start planning another shot.

Thanks everyone! Appreciate the comments and encouragement. Looking forward to the warmer weather and more nighttime shoots.

We don't have the darkness here, but when I go to Canada the Milky Way is visible (until the mosquitos extract all your blood).

Would you mind sharing your set up to get this kind of shot?

It was perfect weather yesterday to grill some ribeyes, so I fired the Weber up. One thing I am going to miss about the pandemic is all the top-quality restaurant meats that have been shunted to grocery stores when they had no other buyers anymore. I bought these steaks as whole ribeyes on sale for $6.99 a pound, and you can literally cut them with a fork. I knew I was on to some mighty fine meat when I picked them up from the case and they were totally limp in my hand. Mmm... I'll miss this! But I bought two so I have plenty of vacuum-packed steaks to go yet.

IMG_2091.jpg

Latest posts

Back