Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had an image earlier this year, moved around a bunch of Echinacea purpurea (coneflower) that I rearranged in a flower bed. Have had them for years, they pop up everywhere in the spring and the older plants can really put out a burst of blooms in early summer. Have been watering/feeding them with leftover solution I have to change out every few weeks from an experimental hydroponic tomato I've been growing. The solution is organic, so no worries of burning the plants. I think they have responded pretty well and filled the area out. Need to weed some, but I'm lazy, it will eventually bug me enough and I'll weed. Happy with the results so far.

Blue fescue is doing well (right side of image) and has more seed stalks than I remember before, must have spilled some hydroponic solution on them as well.

7-7-20_coneflowers-1.jpg

Here's the tomato that I'm "harvesting" the water/fertilizer solution off of and feeding to the coneflowers. I have two buckets I rotate every day (except today, little sun and never hit 80). Other bucket stays in the basement running at 65*F right now. The idea is to keep the water in the bucket less than 80*F if you can. It has run up to 85 and the plant has just kept on growing. This is a dwarf tomato plant that is supposed to reach 2 1/2 feet, it is pretty much there now. It is still out pacing the soil grown ones in pots (or the garden) that were started at the same time. Pretty amazing, though I was growing lettuce in the basement and harvesting it at 30 days (normally takes 50 or so).

Curious to see if I can keep it alive through this hot weather and actually get some tomatoes off of it. I do have to figure out a better way to support the plant. The string tie seems to be not enough, will only get worse when the fruit gets larger. It's listing against the porch pole right now.

Edit: this is a DWC setup with a large air stone in the bucket. The added oxygen helps keep the roots healthy since warmer water doesn't retain dissolved oxygen as well. The white paper (butchers paper) around the bucket helps reflect some of the UV rays and keep the water a little bit cooler.

7-7-20_hydro-tomato-2.jpg

Last edited:
I bought this kit from a retailer in FL who shault NOT be named back Aug 2019, which is a long time. I really did not expect anything since it has been so long. But. "Unfortunately, our distributors only have a 7-10 day time frame for issues such as these." 7 - 10 days seems very small time frame. Most retailers give you a 30 day window for returns.

Kit picture.jpg
BTW: I bought it on sale and I had it stored in a closet in my basement. I wanted to see how the first batch developed before starting a second. It did not appear to have breached to outside plastic too much because my wood floor in the closet was ok. However as you can see in the attached pictures the kit is unusable. Obviously the seal of the interior bag had a small leak.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't mean to hyjack this thread, but I'm really impressed with RJS. I did not expect anything from them but nothing ventured nothing gained. I thought at best I would get a coupon or something along that way. They are sending me a new kit through a US distributor. I liked thier kits before, but definately a fan. They stand behind thier products! If possible, I plan to purchase from that distributor that sends me the product because I like the way they do business.

Latest posts

Back