Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to 2020. The new model is to push all the mainstream (aka the good stuff) to a streaming service like Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+ AppleTV and yes there is an ESPN+ as well. In the not too distant future if you want to watch the NFL or NCAA sports you will have to subscribe to one of these streaming packages. The more people cut the cord the more powerful these streaming channels and packages become and the less and less they are interested in long term contracts with Cable or the SatTV operators and the constant nonstop renegotiating with them over carriage fees.

I firmly believe that ESPN has jumped the shark and should be taken out back and shot. They are telivising The National Cornhole Competition, was there nothing better? No cheerleading competition, no ten year old tumbling, no wrestling? As proof, for those who demand it.

Last edited:
Welcome to 2020. The new model is to push all the mainstream (aka the good stuff) to a streaming service like Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+ AppleTV and yes there is an ESPN+ as well. In the not too distant future if you want to watch the NFL or NCAA sports you will have to subscribe to one of these streaming packages. The more people cut the cord the more powerful these streaming channels and packages become and the less and less they are interested in long term contracts with Cable or the SatTV operators and the constant nonstop renegotiating with them over carriage fees.

Yep, cord cutters will save a ton of money by moving from their $200 cable or satellite service to 30 different streaming services at $6.99/month. We're hosed either way. :rolleyes:

Sunset ABQ, NM

81789976_10220927407965446_2269782438026674176_o.jpg

Yep, cord cutters will save a ton of money by moving from their $200 cable or satellite service to 30 different streaming services at $6.99/month. We're hosed either way. :rolleyes:

I was a very early cord cutter. My Roku was a real early one (but dammit, I missed the stock). When we quit, our cable bill was $85 a month/$1,020 a year. This was around 2007 or '08. We went to antenna and Netflix at $9.99 a month/$119.88 a year. We watched zero commercial TV and we were happy. This year, we got the Acorn bug, so we added it at $60 a year. The Netflix went up to $10.99 a month, so our annual expense now is $191.88.

One time recently, we thought we wanted to watch a show on commercial TV. We turned it on and within about 20 minutes, we had picked up the Roku again. The show was OK, but the incessant yammering commercials with their cartoonish colors turned up to max to get your attention just shut us down. When you never see commercials, it is so very difficult to go back to that crap. Really.

As far as we are concerned, we are getting more great quality programming, now including global programming with production values that often put US programming to shame, for a very reasonable price. Every once in a while, I want to see a game on commercial TV, or watch golf (I don't play, I just enjoy watching - yes, it is very strange). That's the extent of our exposure to commercials. Sometimes a Budweiser commercial slogan or something will catch fire with people at work, and I'll be like, "What the hell does that mean?" :D

So, if my old cable programming had not gone up at all in 12 years - right - I would have paid $12,240 for it. At the higher price we just started paying this year, over those 12 years we have paid $2,303. Giving a big benefit of the doubt to the cable fees, I kept around $10 grand.

Spent some more time at the Udvar-Hazy Air and Space Museum today. I don't know why I don't go more often - I love it and it's only 5 minutes from the house.

IMG_1647.JPG

I saw those before they retired them. Absolutely beautiful piece of equipment

It's amazing to me to think about how long ago they went into service - that we had that kind of technology back then. Makes you wonder what's out there now...

Last edited:
Very cool for sure plus your like 25 miles from the Smithsonian Air & Space museum as well. Lots of eye candy all around you!

Very cool for sure plus your like 25 miles from the Smithsonian Air & Space museum as well. Lots of eye candy all around you!

I was lucky to spend about 18 months working less than 2 blocks from there. Can't tell you how many times I was there on a lunch break. Still my favorite museum.

Latest posts

Back