Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Griffin is a chocolate Lab (mom) and standard Poodle (dad).

So a LabraDoodle. I ask, because on Sat. my wife and I are heading to the breeder's home to pick out our GoldenDoodle puppy. Griffin looked somewhat like daddy for these pups. They are more Golden than Poodle, since Mom is full Golden Retriever (but a cream Golden) and dad is a Gooldendoodle. Hopefully the shedding will be a bit less to make my wife happy.

So a LabraDoodle. I ask, because on Sat. my wife and I are heading to the breeder's home to pick out our GoldenDoodle puppy. Griffin looked somewhat like daddy for these pups. They are more Golden than Poodle, since Mom is full Golden Retriever (but a cream Golden) and dad is a Gooldendoodle. Hopefully the shedding will be a bit less to make my wife happy.

Neither of my doodles shed. And, they’re wonderful dogs.

I would like to this question and I hope no one takes offense. What is the attraction of all the "hyphen-doodle" dogs vs. just getting a Poodle? Full disclosure, we have two miniature Poodles and all told we have, over the years, had three miniatures and one standard Poodle. Our daughter has two standards, which are her third and fourth Poodles. We love the breed and would not have any other.

Breeders are crossing Poodles with just about any other breed. Is it the intelligence, the shedding, the temperament, the appearance or what? Just wondering.

My $0.02. We own 2 Golden Retriever's. Love the breed and everything about the breed but the shedding. Poodles are wound way too tight for me. Golden's are about as laid back as they come. Crossing a Golden with a poodle with the right amount of each DNA gets you a dog that looks like a Golden, has the temperament of a Golden but doesn't shed.

Breeders are crossing Poodles with just about any other breed. Is it the intelligence, the shedding, the temperament, the appearance or what? Just wondering.

It’s the intelligence, temperament and shedding. They’re very social and relatively easy to train.

My mom had poodles and they were very smart, loyal dogs... but also the most neurotic of any breed we’ve ever had.

The doodles seem to have the best traits of both breeds.

My wife bought in on the idea of getting a doodle because my daughter really wanted one. She was leery of the size though (our prior dogs were all <30lbs). Piper is a 70 lb. baby. But, she liked having Piper so much, we went out and got Griffin (who will also be 60+ lbs).

My $0.02. We own 2 Golden Retriever's. Love the breed and everything about the breed but the shedding. Poodles are wound way too tight for me. Golden's are about as laid back as they come. Crossing a Golden with a poodle with the right amount of each DNA gets you a dog that looks like a Golden, has the temperament of a Golden but doesn't shed.
I have owned 3 Golden, love everything about them, except for the hair. I'll take some puppy pictures when my wife and I are down picking on Saturday. We are pick 7 out of 10. Unless some folks drop out.

These are more Golden than poodle, mom is an English Creme (think nearly white) Golden and dad is a goldendoodle, so probably 75% Golden. I am hoping that is enough to combat the hair. I do have this one from when they were about 2 weeks old, eyes just starting open. FB_IMG_1570582421939.jpeg

Thank you all for your replies. Seems the main reason is the shedding of fur. Poodles do not have fur, they have hair and do not shed. However, there are any number of breeds (e.g. Bearded Collie, Airedale and several Terriers) that have hair and not fur so why is the Poodle the main "mixer?" (and don't tell me it is because of the promiscuity of Poodles!) It is not a big issue with me, just idle curiosity.

Louie and Carlo will be our last dogs. Louie is 11 and Carlo is 9 and my wife and I are in our late 70's. We loved all of our dogs but we would not want to leave them behind.

Thank you all for your replies. Seems the main reason is the shedding of fur. Poodles do not have fur, they have hair and do not shed. However, there are any number of breeds (e.g. Bearded Collie, Airedale and several Terriers) that have hair and not fur so why is the Poodle the main "mixer?" (and don't tell me it is because of the promiscuity of Poodles!) It is not a big issue with me, just idle curiosity.

Louie and Carlo will be our last dogs. Louie is 11 and Carlo is 9 and my wife and I are in our late 70's. We loved all of our dogs but we would not want to leave them behind.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/09/25/us/labradoodle-creator-regret.amp.html

I had read that article a few weeks ago. I suppose he is somewhat correct, in that the dogs produced from breeding X with Y are no longer "pure" breed dogs. But, I have to say so what?? I'm more interested in a good companion dog than a show dog.

I think the bigger problem is most breeders are charging a hefty premium for the designer type dogs. I have seen labra and golden doodles for upwards of $1200 and that's just crazy money for a dog, IMHO. My wife and I found a local lady who breeds them once a year, although this is the second for this year, she didn't intend for momma to have puppies right now, but nature did.

74714968_3120671364670715_8851040153733431296_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back