Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where did all that moisture come from? We drove through AZ yesterday on I40 and slammed into it head on. Had no idea it was coming as we had 2 weeks of sun and 90 degree temps in California on our 2 week Sideways tour. It started raining about 20 miles outside of Flag. Rained so hard we pulled into Flag and made a pitstop hoping it would letup. We just missed a bad wipeout on I40 in Flag. It never stopped until we hit Gallup. Slowed us down so much we lost 2 hours. Should have made it home ~900pm and did not pull in until 1100pm. Had to slow down to 50 at times it was coming down so hard. 4 cases of wine from Paso and Santa Ynez valley made it safely home.

Our low temp here at the house was 38 Sunday morning. Guess we are not in SOCAL anymore!

Before todays storm came in we squeezed in a morning walk. Skies and lighting were just awesome.

70486575_2422280984727908_2569697564764930048_n.jpg

Old family Photo album found with a couple winemaking pics. Circa 1991 guessing

That’s me on the crank! With 2 of my brothers and cousins. They always did different combos with muscat, Zinfandel, Alicante, and Thompson Seedless. The stomping wasn’t typical. Just for the kids to get involved and a photo-op. Good times
I’ll have to get over there and take some better quality pics myself 0935EEA7-3EAA-491B-BB9B-298C24F3F381.jpeg 1A0C38C6-8E6D-44CA-991E-BC8B6BF506D3.jpeg 9B4D5E11-01C7-439A-A0EE-A9ABB909D3ED.jpeg

This 23L Vadai oak barrel is going to the garbage today unless someone can tell me that it can still be saved .
It was sitting full of water with potassium met. for maybe a year in the basement where last year I really didn’t put all things in place to prevent humidity in the basement.
Lots of gunk coming out when washing it with pressure water, feels like paint or rubber with mold....not good [emoji31]

I will toss it today, still looks very clean and new-like outside

IMG_1347.JPG
IMG_0027.JPG

Last edited:
It does look kinda like mold or algae grew in. Doesn't look like you had enough chems in the barrel to stop bugs from growing. You should have used the barrel cleaning/storage solution that is a mix of both KMETA and Citric Acid which lowers the pH down to the point that bugs can't take hold and grow. I would use it as a planter or plant stand out on the patio. Purchase a new one when your ready to jump back in to fresh grapes.

Back