Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VLA down near Socorro, NM.

67402112_2872361956168325_8999873298959433728_n.jpg

We're up at a family cottage this week. Today a storm came across the lake and knocked over a bunch of trees. Out cottage and cars are ok but a few houses down they weren't so lucky.
Would not be surprised if a small tornado came through.
FB_IMG_1564453950914.jpg FB_IMG_1564453947476.jpg FB_IMG_1564453943451.jpg

We're up at a family cottage this week. Today a storm came across the lake and knocked over a bunch of trees. Out cottage and cars are ok but a few houses down they weren't so lucky.
Would not be surprised if a small tornado came through.

Yikes! I bid you good luck on the clean-up, etc.

This is a photo of one of my food plots on my hunting property, the bottom of the deer stand is 10 feet above the ground. It’s been like this since January, in the Mississippi Delta backwater flood. Been there twice by boat in this longest flood in history, termed “The Forgotten Flood”. Over 500,000 acres of farmland, wildlife, and homes have been affected for nearly 8 months. The Mississippi at Vicksburg is finally below flood stage and the backwater is draining slowly, hope to be back up at the property in a week or two. At least I haven’t had to do any bush hogging.....

27CBA448-F375-4865-BC7D-D44FF1137912.jpeg

This is a pic of our brand new camps, on a high pad we built above the flood plain. It’s the only dry land for miles in every direction.

AC005B62-25B9-47AD-8B2B-4FE259858238.jpeg

This is a photo of one of my food plots on my hunting property, the bottom of the deer stand is 10 feet above the ground. It’s been like this since January, in the Mississippi Delta backwater flood. Been there twice by boat in this longest flood in history, termed “The Forgotten Flood”. Over 500,000 acres of farmland, wildlife, and homes have been affected for nearly 8 months. The Mississippi at Vicksburg is finally below flood stage and the backwater is draining slowly, hope to be back up at the property in a week or two. At least I haven’t had to do any bush hogging.....

It has been a really bad flood year, but largely ignored by the media. My parents live in Cape Girardeau, MO. They have huge floodgate walls protecting the downtown area, with huge gates. They just opened the gates, they were closed for something like 176 days. That is the longest consecutive number of days in recorded history. The previous was during "the big flood" of 1993. It is a mess.

It has been a really bad flood year, but largely ignored by the media. My parents live in Cape Girardeau, MO. They have huge floodgate walls protecting the downtown area, with huge gates. They just opened the gates, they were closed for something like 176 days. That is the longest consecutive number of days in recorded history. The previous was during "the big flood" of 1993. It is a mess.

I dunno about ignored by the media. Maybe by cable and network TV "news." But I have seen major stories about the flooding in The New York Times and The Washington Post, and all the regional and local media in the Midwest have covered it. The Atlantic also did a story on the effects at New Orleans, and one about how these kinds of floods can be expected from here on out. It was from that story that I found out that the Midwest has had more rainfall in 2019 than ever before in recorded history. Saw a NYT story today about the effect on farmers. Of course, all the farm publications I get have covered it, but that's not mass media.

I dunno about ignored by the media. Maybe by cable and network TV "news." But I have seen major stories about the flooding in The New York Times and The Washington Post, and all the regional and local media in the Midwest have covered it. The Atlantic also did a story on the effects at New Orleans, and one about how these kinds of floods can be expected from here on out. It was from that story that I found out that the Midwest has had more rainfall in 2019 than ever before in recorded history. Saw a NYT story today about the effect on farmers. Of course, all the farm publications I get have covered it, but that's not mass media.

Maybe ignored isn't the best word to use. I just haven't seen the amount and level of concern that there was back in 1993, maybe I haven't been paying attention. I do think the level of flooding may be becoming the new "normal" and we as humans may regret building as much as we have in the flood plains. Who knows.

Latest posts

Back