Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Socorro (NM) Sunset

28954583_1750188905004518_2956050157322572338_o.jpg

Not quite sure -- it in many ways looks like a large tandem van de Graaff, but not one that I have seen before. Mostly I've used Super FNs, but I have used BNLs tandem, which looks a bit like that...

Probably I am way off.

Last edited:
Cutting, splitting stacking. Only the stump is left to go. Have to wait until it gets cleared around the base. Gonna be heavy work, no time to lose footing. I took the wood pile completely apart and cleaned up the area to start. Had a powder beetle infestation in the cherry wood. Full trailer load is backed up ready to add to the stack.

woodpile 001.jpg

woodpile 004.jpg

woodsun 001.jpg

woodsun 002.jpg

woodmon 002.jpg

woodmon 001.jpg

woodpile 001.jpg

woodpile 004.jpg

woodsun 001.jpg

woodsun 002.jpg

woodmon 002.jpg

woodmon 001.jpg

Cutting, splitting stacking. Only the stump is left to go. Have to wait until it gets cleared around the base. Gonna be heavy work, no time to lose footing. I took the wood pile completely apart and cleaned up the area to start. Had a powder beetle infestation in the cherry wood. Full trailer load is backed up ready to add to the stack.

View attachment 47607

View attachment 47608

View attachment 47609

View attachment 47610

View attachment 47611

View attachment 47612

View attachment 47607

View attachment 47608

View attachment 47609

View attachment 47610

View attachment 47611

View attachment 47612

Did you do it like this?

Believe it or not, inertial confinement fusion crossed my mind, but I explicitly rejected it because that tube didn't look like (to an unschooled me) anything that could be involved with inertial confinement. I am fairly ignorant of Antares. I do not know if I am right or not, but I always imagined the ICF as more-or-less spherical, with radiation raining down from 4 pi.

Did you do it like this?

Years ago, I had a 2nd floor office with a beautiful, wooded view. Deer, woodpeckers - all kinds of wildlife viewing from my desk. The land was eventually developed and I was just amazed with the machinery that came in and cleared out those trees. Rather repetitive, but I still didn't get any work done for weeks. :D It was fascinating to watch.

Last edited:
I hired in on the tail end of most all of the "big physics" projects and the "Star "Wars" era of the Reagan years. Those were good years to work at LANL. Plenty of funding across the lab and all of its core divisions. It was like they would back up several armored cars full of $$$ each year and say "is that enough or do you need more?" LOL

I found a schematic showing the amp/laser setup.

Screen Shot 2018-03-27 at 6.21.39 AM.png

In the end, the DOE terminated the Antares laser research program at the end of 1985 because of a technical problem; Los Alamos discovered that long-wavelength lasers generated electrons that preheated the target containing the fuel for the fusion reaction, thereby preventing fusion; The DOE and LANL believed the problem would have required developing an impractical and expensive laser system for effective use; LANL's efforts to fix the technical problem were unsuccessful; LANL conducted two technical evaluations and concluded that the Antares technology was not a good candidate for achieving fusion; and two scientific panels' reviews supported the LANL conclusion.

Believe it or not, inertial confinement fusion crossed my mind, but I explicitly rejected it because that tube didn't look like (to an unschooled me) anything that could be involved with inertial confinement. I am fairly ignorant of Antares. I do not know if I am right or not, but I always imagined the ICF as more-or-less spherical, with radiation raining down from 4 pi.

Cool. Thanks for that explanation. Even after you told me it was for inertial confinement fusion, I didn't realize that your first pic was ONE BIG laser. I still had the idea that there were multiple lasers being housed there.

We still have plenty of lasers, (and beams) of all sorts hitting targets around this place. At least twice a week they do explosives testing back in the canyons that can shake and rattle windows for miles. Sometimes they can even be felt as far away as Santa fe (30 miles).

http://www.lanl.gov/science-innovation/science-facilities/trident-laser-facility/

http://www.lanl.gov/science-innovation/science-facilities/index.php

I still had the idea that there were multiple lasers being housed there.

Latest posts

Back