Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last night was our community wine tasting. We choose South Africa. All the wines were at least decent, but several of the wines were very good! South Africa wines can be very cheap and still quite good.

The very good ones specifically were:

* Ken Forrester (Chenin Blanc)
* Restore (Red Blend - forgot to get the grapes in the blend)
* Six Hats (Pinotage)
* Topaz (Shiraz / Mourvedre)
* Glen Carlou (Red blend Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Malbec and Petit Verdot)

Last night was our community wine tasting. We choose South Africa. All the wines were at least decent, but several of the wines were very good! South Africa wines can be very cheap and still quite good.

The very good ones specifically were:

* Ken Forrester (Chenin Blanc)
* Restore (Red Blend - forgot to get the grapes in the blend)
* Six Hats (Pinotage)
* Topaz (Shiraz / Mourvedre)
* Glen Carlou (Red blend Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Malbec and Petit Verdot)

David, I'm curious, how was the Pinotage? I've heard mixed reviews that it's a pretty foxy wine that you either love or hate. I almost got some Pinotage grapes in the spring, but chickened out after reading the mixed reviews......

David, I'm curious, how was the Pinotage? I've heard mixed reviews that it's a pretty foxy wine that you either love or hate. I almost got some Pinotage grapes in the spring, but chickened out after reading the mixed reviews......

Actually, this Pinotage was probably in tie for my favorite wine last night. (The Chenin Blanc was really good too) It was my first Pinotage that I can recall trying. I was very impressed with it and plan to go find a few bottles for the house of both of those wines.

Try getting a bottle of the Six Hats and give it a try.

Had the pleasure of helping my soon to be driving daughter work on a science project. Each student, in turn, gets to make a food item resemble a single animal cell, using different food items (I wish I had her teacher...). So most of the kids have been taking a cake and adding different colored icing to complete the project.

Ah, but it's Friday, it's pizza day! So my daughter gave us a list of veges to buy, I made a crust (ended up 75% whole wheat because we were out of my winter wheat white flour, arg) this morning, and then fit it to the pan, added some homemade sauce, and she took it from there.

She will add toothpicks identifying what is what after it cools. I just thought it was a neat idea since she will explain to them what every part is, then take off the toothpicks and cut 'er up for a snack.

9-22-16_pizza-cell.jpg

Had the pleasure of helping my soon to be driving daughter work on a science project. Each student, in turn, gets to make a food item resemble a single animal cell, using different food items (I wish I had her teacher...). So most of the kids have been taking a cake and adding different colored icing to complete the project.

Ah, but it's Friday, it's pizza day! So my daughter gave us a list of veges to buy, I made a crust (ended up 75% whole wheat because we were out of my winter wheat white flour, arg) this morning, and then fit it to the pan, added some homemade sauce, and she took it from there.

She will add toothpicks identifying what is what after it cools. I just thought it was a neat idea since she will explain to them what every part is, then take off the toothpicks and cut 'er up for a snack.

Great idea with the pizza! I remember helping my kids with their animal and plant cell projects several years ago. Good times.

This image sums up my excellent day. First, I woke up, which is always a nice thing to have happen. Second, I checked the SG of my Lanza Zin and it was 1.010, hmmm, could press this afternoon. Third, had a lunch date with my wife, very rare, she paid! Fourth (image provided), pressed my Zin grapes, got 8.75 gallons raw wine. Fifth, though I didn't expect it, the Eagles beat the Steelers, and quite handily, Jim Schwartz for President. I thought Ben was going to shred our secondary. Nice, 3 points. Three teams have scored 6 points on the Eagles in the second half, Steelers had none. Go Birds!

Oh, and it was a gorgeous early Fall day here in Southern PA, just beautiful! Cough, Cough, Achoo, Cough...think I might have to take a sick day tomorrow. Low tomorrow morning of 43*F, high of 71*F, perfect.

9-25-16_zin-press.jpg

Got down to 35F yesterday morning! Why do some pots explode with color at the very end of the season? Hoping for a long and mild Indian Summer!

I think it is Mother Nature's way of saying 'Say goodbye to summer. Remember this - you won't see it for long'.

Pictures from our week roughing it in bear country near Black Mountain, NC! If anyone wants the name of the place we stayed, just PM me. They offer several cabins to choose from. (I say that cuz I've gotten a lot of requests when posting these pix elsewhere.)

What a relaxing week! Brought home a dozen bottles of NC wine and 3 cases of assorted NC craft brew. Mmmm...

HOT TUB YEEEESSSS!

From the owner's front yard at 3,300 feet, where you can see the three tallest peaks in NC: Mitchell at 6,684, Craig at 6,647 and Clingman's Dome at 6,643.

Last edited:
Pictures from our week roughing it in bear country near Black Mountain, NC! If anyone wants the name of the place we stayed, just PM me. They offer several cabins to choose from. (I say that cuz I've gotten a lot of requests when posting these pix elsewhere.)

What a relaxing week! Brought home a dozen bottles of NC wine and 3 cases of assorted NC craft brew. Mmmm...

HOT TUB YEEEESSSS!

From the owner's front yard at 3,300 feet, where you can see the three tallest peaks in NC: Mitchell at 6,684, Craig at 6,647 and Clingman's Dome at 6,643.

Wow, that cabin is awesome.

Latest posts

Back