Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds about right!

10995625_630719723727240_8266546256119446794_n.jpg

My guess is that Jim wrote articles about University of Alabama-Huntsville research that appeared in those copies of the Huntsville R&D Report. Am I right? :D

I was the founding editor of "The Huntsville R&D Report," which won the Inland Press Association award for magazines under 50,000 circulation in 2011. Bill Gates held a copy in his hand at a tech gathering out West and mused, "Why don't we have one of these in Seattle or Silicon Valley?" At lower right is the Huntsville Chamber "Welcome Guide," for which I conceived and directed the editorial content over several annual issues.

This was before I was shown the door in 2012 with droves of my fellow employees in a "disruptive restructuring." The R&D magazine lasted two more issues after my termination. I had edited it for five years until I was terminated.

I co-founded and manage a research magazine for the university now, too, called "FOCUS: The UAH Research Magazine."

Last edited:
What am I missing here, Jim?

My guess is that Jim wrote articles about University of Alabama-Huntsville research that appeared in those copies of the Huntsville R&D Report. Am I right?

I was the founding editor of "The Huntsville R&D Report,"

At lower right is the Huntsville Chamber "Welcome Guide," for which I conceived and directed the editorial content over several annual issues.

I co-founded and manage a research magazine for the university now, too, called "FOCUS: The UAH Research Magazine."

Well, do I get partial credit? :D

I was the founding editor of "The Huntsville R&D Report," which won the Inland Press Association award for magazines under 50,000 circulation in 2011. Bill Gates held a copy in his hand at a tech gathering out West and mused, "Why don't we have one of these in Seattle or Silicon Valley?" At lower right is the Huntsville Chamber "Welcome Guide," for which I conceived and directed the editorial content over several annual issues.

This was before I was shown the door in 2012 with droves of my fellow employees in a "disruptive restructuring." The R&D magazine lasted two more issues after my termination. I had edited it for five years until I was terminated.

Got to say Jim, it's hard to take you serious...........maybe it's the avatar!:d

Jim, as I am sure you know, UAB in birmingham has a huge campus because of the medical program. It is referred to as The University that Ate Birmingham. Did UAH eat Huntsville?

Jim, as I am sure you know, UAB in birmingham has a huge campus because of the medical program. It is referred to as The University that Ate Birmingham. Did UAH eat Huntsville?

UAH's campus is 300 acres and the university has 7,600 students, so no, it did not eat Huntsville, though enrollment is expected to climb in coming semesters.

A fun fact is, the UAB Medical School originally had a regional campus that was part of UAH, but it merged in 1995 with UAB, while UAH retained the College of Nursing, which it still operates today with a brand-new building that is just being completed.

You can say UAH was the brainchild of Dr. Wernher von Braun, who can be called the father of American space flight. He lobbied intensively for a research university in Huntsville, The Rocket City. Founded as a full, freestanding university in 1968 with its first graduating class in 1969, UAH is famous for its mechanical and aerospace engineering graduates, including astronaut Dr. Jan Davis. It ranks 4th nationally in federally financed aeronautical/astronautical engineering research. NASA employees work on campus and actively engage students in research at the university's National Space Science Technology Center in Cramer Hall.

Dr. Werner Dahm, Chief Scientist of the US Air Force, earned a degree in the UAH Engineering Department program.

UAH has a burgeoning biotech and Biological Sciences Department, often collaborating with the geneticists at the research/corporate incubator called the HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology in Huntsville.

The university is also known nationally and globally for atmospheric sciences, space science and astrophysics. UAH just opened SWIRLL, a state of the art atmospheric sciences lab and engineering area for its high-tech storm tracking equipment. Physicists at UAH have in the past made important discoveries about the Earth's moon and the nature of our universe.

It is home to a specially-built Optics Building that is isolated from Earth's tremors for sensitive research done there. UAH tested the optics for the mirror for NASA's James Webb Space Telescope, and has been involved in optics fabrication for other NASA telescopic satellites.

There is so much research going on here, I can never cover it all and never run out of stories. With $101 million in fiscal 2014 research expenditures, UAH has the largest research expenditures of any public university its size in the country.

What? TMI? :)

Last edited:
Jim, I did not know that. We can be very proud of that. It's amazing really, bham is a big player in health research and Huntsville a big player in engineering research. Alabama is such a backwards state

Latest posts

Back