Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I figured it out and the price difference between the cheapest Tesla and the cheapest Kia buys me 5,998 gallons of gas at $5 a gallon. :cool: That Kia Rio gets 33 city/41 highway, so using the city mileage figure, that is 197,934 miles of driving. 😄

That is right....lol
At the same time, I compare this to like when you buy new technology stuff, say a brand new 4K TV, you pay lots of money up front at first but once the newer stuff comes out the 4K TV is not longer the new kid on the block....lol

At the same time, I compare this to like when you buy new technology stuff, say a brand new 4K TV, you pay lots of money up front at first but once the newer stuff comes out the 4K TV is not longer the new kid on the block....lol
Actually, I don't pay. I let others, who have the interest and the available cash, do the initial buying! ;)

I say that tongue-in-cheek, but it is true. In 2015 I performed a comparison between the 4 cylinder and hybrid Camry models. Based upon the then-current gas prices, my annual miles driven, and the difference in price between the models, I figured that the break even point was 7 years. Meaning that the cost to purchase and operate the more expensive hybrid model would equal the 4 cylinder modal after 7 years. At which point, the warranty on the battery expires, and it was possible I'd need to replace it. Based upon the financial analysis, I purchased the non-hybrid model.

That is right....lol

If ya got the money, spend it. I am getting really sick of my BIL bitching about how much it costs to fill up his top of the line Lexus and his F350. But he worked hard for a long time and he has the money to have the Lexus and the F350, so he has the money for the fuel.

If I ever buy an EV, though, it won't be from Elon Musk. Take that to the bank.

Actually, I don't pay. I let others, who have the interest and the available cash, do the initial buying! ;)

I say that tongue-in-cheek, but it is true. In 2015 I performed a comparison between the 4 cylinder and hybrid Camry models. Based upon the then-current gas prices, my annual miles driven, and the difference in price between the models, I figured that the break even point was 7 years. Meaning that the cost to purchase and operate the more expensive hybrid model would equal the 4 cylinder modal after 7 years. At which point, the warranty on the battery expires, and it was possible I'd need to replace it. Based upon the financial analysis, I purchased the non-hybrid model.

I am well enough off that I can buy new, luxury vehicles if I so desire. But I buy low-mileage, used, economy vehicles for cash, and I drive them until they are literally worthless. My last car I owned for 23 years. Why? How the heck do you think I got the money in the first place? :cool:

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery." Charles Dickens, 1849 (in David Copperfield)

Simply put, the more you OWE, the more you're OWNED. I wish every kid would have that explained to them from the time they are born.

It is a great feeling to be financially independent and not owe anyone a dime outside my monthly bills.

"Oh, but you didn't enjoy life!" People say that to me (really to themselves). But I don't need to spend money to enjoy myself.

Simply put, the more you OWE, the more you're OWNED. I wish every kid would have that explained to them from the time they are born.
Amen on that point!

Many moons ago a roommate asked me a question -- he'd been making minimum payments for a year on a credit card and could not understand why the principal was reduced by $30 but he'd paid nearly $400.

I reviewed his bill and explained that of his $32 payment, $2.50 was principal, the remainder was interest. If he continued to make minimum payments, it would take nearly 40 years to pay it off. [Yes, this is accurate -- it was before CC reform.]

His parents had never taught him anything about this. It may be they didn't know, either. He may have been ignorant up to that point, but he learned fast, and wiped his overall debt out in less than 12 months, and has never been in debt since then.

By the time my sons graduated high school, they understood the true cost of debt. My old friend was a good example of both the cost of not knowing, AND how to fix things once you understand!

Amen on that point!

Many moons ago a roommate asked me a question -- he'd been making minimum payments for a year on a credit card and could not understand why the principal was reduced by $30 but he'd paid nearly $400.

I reviewed his bill and explained that of his $32 payment, $2.50 was principal, the remainder was interest. If he continued to make minimum payments, it would take nearly 40 years to pay it off. [Yes, this is accurate -- it was before CC reform.]

His parents had never taught him anything about this. It may be they didn't know, either. He may have been ignorant up to that point, but he learned fast, and wiped his overall debt out in less than 12 months, and has never been in debt since then.

By the time my sons graduated high school, they understood the true cost of debt. My old friend was a good example of both the cost of not knowing, AND how to fix things once you understand!

Great story! My farmer father-in-law (RIP) used to say, "Interest on debt is a dead horse, and you can't ride a dead horse!" :D

Latest posts

Back