Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pix of the headwaters of Campers Creek Branch as they leave my farm. These are the creek headwaters, now! This lil creek was dry on Friday. Check out the fence wire. It is almost 4 feet deep now! We have had steady hard rain for two solid days, supposed to rain hard until at least Monday afternoon. No lie, my septic tank is full. My well is running dirt-tinged water because the water table has risen to near ground level. Seen it before, but this is one of the worst. I just over seeded that pasture. Half of that is washed away. What-a-time!

View attachment 78909

View attachment 78910

View attachment 78911

View attachment 78912

View attachment 78913

View attachment 78914

View attachment 78915
The remenants of TS Nicholas, not happy to see the rain you are getting, but pretty happy it finally moved on. Your weather should be improving dramatically by mid week, here’s our forecast in south Louisiana:
EAD688B7-9C96-4A1E-A24D-C1D9A290DC8B.png

The remenants of TS Nicholas, not happy to see the rain you are getting, but pretty happy it finally moved on. Your weather should be improving dramatically by mid week, here’s our forecast in south Louisiana:
View attachment 78940

The creek is down again this morning. None of this heavy rain was predicted Thursday afternoon. We were to get showers Friday, no rain Saturday and a quarter inch on Sunday, is all. They've now switched the forecast for today from clearing this afternoon to heavy rain midday. I have next week off and intended to edge-mow the back pasture but I doubt I'll be able to get to it for the mud. Got to do that for the electric fence to work so I can winter pasture cows there.

On the way to work, saw cars still washed off the road from the weekend.

Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 7.51.15 AM.png

My last winter in Rochester NY, we had snowfalls dropping 6" each night for 3 nights. All it did was slow traffic down. Yes, 18" total snowfall in 3 days.

But northern and western NY (like many northern regions) has the equipment, personnel, and experience in snow removal. Plows were out almost as soon as the snow hits.

I love seeing snow! [on TV, not out my window!]
Being prepared makes all the difference. When I started in construction 35 years ago I worked on a project in Utah. We poured spread footings in a blizzard. Snowed 18" on us and we just kept pouring. Threw straw on top of it and let the snow insulate it while it cured. Fast forward to this past winter and working now in Texas. We learned a serious lesson in not being prepared. Shutting the job down for 5 days was the least of out problems.

The creek is down again this morning. None of this heavy rain was predicted Thursday afternoon. We were to get showers Friday, no rain Saturday and a quarter inch on Sunday, is all. They've now switched the forecast for today from clearing this afternoon to heavy rain midday. I have next week off and intended to edge-mow the back pasture but I doubt I'll be able to get to it for the mud. Got to do that for the electric fence to work so I can winter pasture cows there.

On the way to work, saw cars still washed off the road from the weekend.

View attachment 78942
Hope you guys fare well for the next couple of days, the future looks a lot brighter!!!

Being prepared makes all the difference. When I started in construction 35 years ago I worked on a project in Utah. We poured spread footings in a blizzard. Snowed 18" on us and we just kept pouring. Threw straw on top of it and let the snow insulate it while it cured. Fast forward to this past winter and working now in Texas. We learned a serious lesson in not being prepared. Shutting the job down for 5 days was the least of out problems.

"Being prepared" for snow is so often a result of how much you actually get. Our annual snowfall here averages 1 inch. Yes, sometimes we get more, but then the single event total is usually 3 inches, rarely over 6 inches, and 99% of the time it is melted off the roads by itself the next day due to warm ground and rebounding temps. So, it snows overnight (often here, as that is when it is cold enough) and by the coming evening it is mostly melted. By the next afternoon, it is totally gone.

It's understandable not to invest in plows and double plows, salt trucks, etc., with these conditions. I think the adoption of brining is the perfect alternative for this region. In southern Tennessee, where it is well used, it keeps everything running, In north Alabama, where it is sparingly used, it helps. It was easier for TN to adopt it, as the entire state lies north of me and is more subject to snow. By contrast, below Birmingham, Alabama is less and less likely to see any snow accumulations at all.

View attachment 78940
naw our sun and clouds look nothing like yours & from all your squggily lines looks more like you been drinking way to much
Dawg,

Okay, what do you call this? I saw one Nissan Leaf, parked next to another Nissan Leaf. Would you say that "there were two Nissan Leaves"? Or would you say "there were two Nissan Leafs"? If, like me, the latter sounds more natural, ask yourself if you would ever say "I saw two leafs fall off that oak tree."

View attachment 48970

I finally got an answer to my "Leafs" vs. "Leaves" question:

From: Five English Grammar Rules You Never Knew You Knew - ALTA Language Services

3. The ‘kind of’ rule

Have you ever wondered why artists paint ‘still lifes’ and not ‘still lives?’ What about if you were inviting Julia Child’s family over for a barbeque? You would say you were inviting the Childs over, not the Children. Similarly, the hockey team from Toronto is called the ‘Maple Leafs’ rather than the ‘Maple Leaves.’ This is all true because of a grammar rule called the ‘kind of’ rule, which was discovered by renowned linguist Steven Pinker. The rule essentially states that since Julia Child is not a ‘kind of child,’ her last does not follow the irregular pluralization rule that normally changes ‘child’ to ‘children.’ Similarly, a still life is not a kind of life, but rather a kind of painting, and the Maple Leafs are not really a kind of leaf, but a hockey team.

Green chile like this or even like a poblano have a very thick skin that needs to be removed prior to using it in various spanish dishes. Its pretty simple you just char/burn the crap out of them until they are all burnt and wilted. You want to keep them moving so you evenly roast (burn) them. Then the chile is placed into a plastic bag to "sweat" for several hours until they cool down enough to handle. This also makes the outer skins easier to remove.

Once the skin is peeled away what you have is the inner goodness that goes into making just about anything here in the southwest.

Yep, we put that sh!t in everything down here! LOL

Holy cow Batman....never seen anything like it...

They started roasting here back at the end of August. Pretty much done for the season except for some of the big places in ABQ etc.

View attachment 79090

👍 I can't remember when, it has been several years since my wife was living out there.... But I do remember the smell and the flavor! And yeah, go into McDonalds in ABQ and you can pick up a tray of hot sauces to go with your Big Mac.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back