Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a friend excitedly bring over this bottle of wine tonight to share. I looked at it and asked him to describe it to me, how it’s been stored and what’s been happening over its lifetime. That bottle has been to several different states, perhaps an unwilling participant in many moves. And, spent the majority of its life living in garages - 43 winters and 42 summers. Naturally, I didn’t give it any hope of satisfying our palates.

After confirming he wanted me to open the wine, I sunk my cork screw into the deteriorating stopper. It exited the bottle without much more than 1 pound of pressure and was gooey. The contends pouring out of the bottle looked like liquid copper. And, the nose? Best described as difficult - like a sniper assaulting your nostrils.

My friend was disappointed to watch his vintage dumped down the drain. Me, happy to be liberated.

View attachment 76884

Never age Beaujolais

When I buy Beaujolais Nouveau, I drink it by the following January. By April it's turning nasty. Regular Beaujolais is usually good for 5 or 6 years, although I don't purposefully age it.

It's amazing how many people believe any red wine can be aged for decades. A common figure is that 90% of the world's wine production is designed for consumption within 3 years, and I believe it.

For the most part, wines I purchase are intended for consumption within 6 months of purchase. There's not many wines that I'd try to age myself. My own, of course! ;)

When I buy Beaujolais Nouveau, I drink it by the following January. By April it's turning nasty. Regular Beaujolais is usually good for 5 or 6 years, although I don't purposefully age it.

It's amazing how many people believe any red wine can be aged for decades. A common figure is that 90% of the world's wine production is designed for consumption within 3 years, and I believe it.

For the most part, wines I purchase are intended for consumption within 6 months of purchase. There's not many wines that I'd try to age myself. My own, of course! ;)
I would have consumed it, if I had remembered it. I think it was consigned to the neither regions while moving, depriving me of a fine wine.

I was out in @Rice_Guy 's neck of the woods today. I had never been to our fair state's Capitol building before. (I actually went in to find a public restroom, if truth be told, as they are hard to find elsewhere, but wound up enjoying the beautiful building.)

IMG_2255.JPGIMG_2253.JPGIMG_2250.JPGIMG_2252.JPGIMG_2249.JPG

Last edited:
Most folks let them sweat in the plastic bag for several hours which helps loosen the thick outer skin more. Then once cool, put them into quart or gallon zip lock bags, flatten and put into the freezer. They will freeze well for up to 24 months but they usually don't last that long as they get eaten fast. At some point when ready to use you thaw and then run a little water over them while you peel off the skin fully. Once the skin is removed you are ready to chop and add to your favorite dish.

How do you store them?

Most folks let them sweat in the plastic bag for several hours which helps loosen the thick outer skin more. Then once cool, put them into quart or gallon zip lock bags, flatten and put into the freezer. They will freeze well for up to 24 months but they usually don't last that long as they get eaten fast. At some point when ready to use you thaw and then run a little water over them while you peel off the skin fully. Once the skin is removed you are ready to chop and add to your favorite dish.
So I could use my vacuum packer then. Allows stuff to last much longer in the freezer.

Latest posts

Back