Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is how our hive ended up when we got word of the severe cold snap and how long it was going to last. Still alive. Where are you at
Just west of Tulsa. Some of mine went into winter very strong in numbers and honey, others a little weaker, but all have sugar blocks on top as insurance food and moisture absorption.

Jim, what is your tomato source? Is this all cans, or is this your stash from the summer?

If I follow my Grandma DiIulio's recipe, it starts with tomatoes and takes two days. If I follow my version, it starts with Hunts cans and takes 6-7 hours. Both taste identical. I just don't have 8 hours everyday in the kitchen like she used to spend. Over 90% of what she made and served was from Grandpa's garden (which took up the whole backyard) or from scratch ingredients. I remember as a small boy seeing every flat surface in her kitchen covered with white dish towels so the noodles she'd made could dry on them. Grandma died in 1968, and this and a meatball recipe are all of hers I have. My cousins have more but they will not share and it took awhile to get these. Mom could also cook well, and I have a few of her recipes that I collected while I was in college. My Dad gave the rest to my niece, who also refuses to share. Sigh...

Grandma and Grandpa DiIulio, from a home movie shot in 1965 or '66. A long way from Campana, Calabria, Italy.

Screen Shot 2016-08-03 at 8.53.23 AM.png

Just west of Tulsa. Some of mine went into winter very strong in numbers and honey, others a little weaker, but all have sugar blocks on top as insurance food and moisture absorption.
We’re in the upper peninsula of Michigan right next to Lake Superior. Been keeping bees for8 years now were up to 6 hives year ago last fall but they all never made it through the real tough winter. Got another package last spring and they did great. Went into winter very strong so we’re hopeful they’ll be ok come spring.

This is my 4th winter with bees. First year, lost both hives. Next spring got 3 more, 2 made it to year 3. Splits and a swarm put me to 6 hives, all made it to 2020. Lost 1, have 8 now. All at my home apiary. It's a lot of fun, work, and worry, but that fresh honey is worth it all.

If I follow my Grandma DiIulio's recipe, it starts with tomatoes and takes two days. If I follow my version, it starts with Hunts cans and takes 6-7 hours. Both taste identical. I just don't have 8 hours everyday in the kitchen like she used to spend. Over 90% of what she made and served was from Grandpa's garden (which took up the whole backyard) or from scratch ingredients. I remember as a small boy seeing every flat surface in her kitchen covered with white dish towels so the noodles she'd made could dry on them. Grandma died in 1968, and this and a meatball recipe are all of hers I have. My cousins have more but they will not share and it took awhile to get these. Mom could also cook well, and I have a few of her recipes that I collected while I was in college. My Dad gave the rest to my niece, who also refuses to share. Sigh...

Grandma and Grandpa DiIulio, from a home movie shot in 1965 or '66. A long way from Campana, Calabria, Italy.

View attachment 71705

I don't "get" recipe hoarding. Personally, I would be trying to give them to anyone who would listen, and to some who wouldn't listen!

Latest posts

Back