Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its that time of year in Santa fe........

69352622_2636048009752229_7302602790239469568_n.jpg

Geek . . . plenty of options for accommodations. Bar Harbor is the tourist hub and has lots of hotels and dining. The other side of Mount Desert Island (the quiet side) also has motels and cottages for rent scattered around the various harbors/villages. Much to see and do here, especially if you are a hiker and/or biker. Miles of hiking trails to the bare granite peaks and miles of wonderful biking paths (packed gravel - no cars) throughout the interior of the park. And of course, the famous ocean drive coastline.

This pic is from the trail up Penobscot mtn looking at Jordan Pond with Pemetic mtn and the south Bubble (left) in the background. This is only the first open ledge . . . the views open up as you go higher.

jordan pond.jpg

Tried my hand at all grain beer brewing today. I've done extract kits in the past but never then one straight from grains. Made 5 gallons and I think it mostly went okay. I had some trouble getting the right temperature because my digital thermometer was acting up and give me me unreliable readings. so I'll see in a few weeks how it turned out. One nice thing with beer as you don't have nearly the way to figure out if you've done something good or bad.
Here you can see the three main pieces of equipment. Have a kettle over propane burner from which you drain hot water into the cooler which has all your Grains in it. they soak for an hour in there and then you drain into that bottom bucket while also pouring more water into the grains to rinse them, to get all the sugars.
After that you add your hops to the bottom pot and boil that for an hour, then rapidly cool it and pitch your yeast. Lots of work, took about 5 hours, but still simpler than wine in some ways.
20190908_172602.jpg

Geek having driven up the mount Washington road, you know how steep it is. There use to be a bicycle race up it.
I don't know if they still do.

Bill

Geek having driven up the mount Washington road, you know how steep it is. There use to be a bicycle race up it.
I don't know if they still do.

Bill

Sometimes I felt a bit worry being so close to the edge of the road, but all was good as long as you drive carefully; it was well worth the trip, want to go back with my kids another time.

Back