Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Confused John, what is grade, is it the normal pond water level? I know you're in Louisiana so it could be sea level. Does the pond not have a spillway. Otherwise you make the barn a boathouse.

Sorry, I referred to "grade" as the general land elevation in the area, it's very flat. The land is in Mississippi, just north of Vicksburg, in an area referred to as the South Delta or Yazoo Backwater Area. The pond does have a "spillway", it has a culvert that lets water in from the road side (all of the land is graded to drain to the inlet) and an outlet on the backside which drains into Coon Bayou, the outlet is 6" lower than the inlet. In normal water conditions, the water level is determined by the outlet, and the banks of the pond are about 3 feet higher than the water level. The banks of the pond are currently about 4 feet underwater...........

So I guess the big question is this the beginning of something worse to come in a week or two?

And didn't you stock the tank recently or was that yet to come? Hope you didn't lose all your fish as well.

First pic: View from the road of the barn in the foreground, and camps in the background. Barn is 6’ above grade, and camp pad is 10’ above grade. Today the road has 7’ of water on it.

Second: View from back of the lake, before it had water in it, looking at the new camps.

Third and Fourth: Back of the barn two weeks ago, we went by boat to move equipment to the higher pad. Water’s a foot higher today.

Fifth: from the north side of the camps, can’t even see where the pond levees are.

I hope all that isn't a tiny detail the previous owners neglected to inform you of and that this doesn't come as a complete surprise to you. Isn't 55% of Mississippi and Louisiana very near to sea level or below??

I just googled Vicksburg and it says the elevation is 240', surprised me. The Yazoo Backwater Area is over 4,000 sq miles so I'm guessing it's influenced by the Mississippi.

I hope all that isn't a tiny detail the previous owners neglected to inform you of and that this doesn't come as a complete surprise to you. Isn't 55% of Mississippi and Louisiana very near to sea level or below??

No, we bought the property eyes wide open, it's wetlands and it floods, but our camps are built above base flood elevation. If sea level is 0 feet, our land is at 90 feet, my home in south LA is at 23 feet, our camps are at 103 feet, New Orleans is at -12 feet in some places. You don't need to be below sea level to take on water, only below the level of the water in the river, when the river rises and the water comes out of the banks, you have water. There are places in the north flooded all to hell at elevations in the hundreds, it's all relative.

So I guess the big question is this the beginning of something worse to come in a week or two?

And didn't you stock the tank recently or was that yet to come? Hope you didn't lose all your fish as well.

No, I don't think so, the river is starting to subside as we speak, and once it goes down another two feet, the water control structure gates will be opened by the Corps and the water will start to flow out. Hard to believe, but the gates being shut right now are keeping water from flowing into the Yazoo Backwater area, but the rain that falls behind the gates can't drain off, so it accumulates until the river drops enough to open the gates. This is the highest pool level in the backwater area since the levees and control structures were installed. Sadly, the fourth phase of the project included pumps to keep water levels behind the gates below elevation 90, but funding ran out and hasn't been reinstated by the feds....

Pond stocking was scheduled for early March, we just put it off until the water goes down.

Went up a couple weeks ago to move the equipment to the higher pad and clean out the fridges and freezers, just in case. Friday, the local utility shut the power off, as some lines were sagging into the flood waters. Glad as hell we got those things emptied, I don't relish the smell of weeks old rotted Katrina fridges and freezers, once in a lifetime is plenty...............

Ay-yi-yi. Sorry about that, John. Hope it is waning!

Don’t be, comes with the territory in the delta. We have a saying, “You gotta take what the delta gives you”. She’s a fickle partner, but incredibly giving, you just gotta figure out what the gift is. Won’t be long, we’ll be up there catching and boiling crawfish, and eating fried frog legs.

Cherry blossom time at UW (Seattle)

55802331_2352270415054370_254991757391953920_n.jpg

My weekly Lab retiree get together. We toast all you guys still slogging to work 5 days a week and thank you for your dedication to keeping the GDP up!

That was an unexpectedly (no offense!) clever, biting, trenchant response!

We took a quick run over to Prescott this morning, picked up some stuff we couldn't get in town, and had lunch at a really cool spot our friends picked out. It was called Plaza Liquor and Deli, food was good, craft beer was good but the wine, beer, liquor and cigar selections were pretty incredible. Just about anything you want from a $6.00 bottle of wine to a $4,999.00 bottle of scotch. We came home over Mingus mountain and took this picture of our valley from the town of Jerome. The beginning edge of our town is in the very bottom right hand corner. Sedona is tucked somewhere along that band of red rocks.
VerdeValleyFromJeromeSmaller.jpg

That was an unexpectedly (no offense!) clever, biting, trenchant response!
Search Results
Dictionary

trench·ant
/ˈtren(t)SHənt/
adjective
adjective: trenchant
  1. 1. vigorous or incisive in expression or style.
    "she heard angry voices, not loud, yet certainly trenchant"
    synonyms: incisive, cutting, pointed, piercing, penetrating, sharp, keen, acute, razor-sharp, razor-edged, rapierlike; More
    vigorous, forceful, strong, telling, emphatic, forthright, blunt;
    biting, stinging, mordant, pungent, scathing, caustic, acid, tart, acerbic, astringent, sarcastic;
    devastating, savage, fierce, searing, blistering, withering;
    acerb;
    raremordacious, acidulous
    "he made trenchant criticisms of her style of leadership"
    antonyms: woolly, vague
  2. 2. archaic•literary
    (of a weapon or tool) having a sharp edge.
    "a trenchant blade"
Thank you Paul.

We took a quick run over to Prescott this morning, picked up some stuff we couldn't get in town, and had lunch at a really cool spot our friends picked out. It was called Plaza Liquor and Deli, food was good, craft beer was good but the wine, beer, liquor and cigar selections were pretty incredible. Just about anything you want from a $6.00 bottle of wine to a $4,999.00 bottle of scotch. We came home over Mingus mountain and took this picture of our valley from the town of Jerome. The beginning edge of our town is in the very bottom right hand corner. Sedona is tucked somewhere along that band of red rocks.

Man, that is a quadruple like!!! I love it.

Back