Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmmm, very interested....

I love DirecTV programming but NOT their "creeping up" prices.
I think my wife would be happy with any provider as long as she gets 2 Spanish channels (Univision and Telemundo), but losing the DVR.....probably not willing to ditch that....

I'm sure there are many OTA channels in HD around my area (zip 06770), is just a matter of taking the plunge and doing it to cut $120 worth of a bill in a monthly basis. :ft

geek,
I hear you. I am on Cox cable tv,phone and internet is more or less 200 a month and tv is 60% of the bill and im not much on watching tv. Feel like its time to do something!

I cut the cord years and years ago. Get a Roku, Amazon, Apple, whatever you like stick. I got Roku and stream it off the Net. Got Netflix and get local TV channels through a powered indoor antenna. It does fine. Not much of a vidiot so I don't go farther. I do have a dedicated computer hooked up, too, that I use for online stuff sometimes.

Man, I do not have the hours in a week to watch all the interesting stuff on Netflix alone. But if you want more, gotta keep up with that water cooler TV talk, then Hulu is $7.99 or there's Sling at about $20, etc. 15 years ago when I quit cable, my bill was $85 a month. Now, I get Internet through the cable that costs me $48 a month (outrageous compared to other places but I am out in the sticks, too). Then I pay about $10 a month for Netflix. A year ago, we got an Ooma and our landline is on VoIP now through the cable, too. I need a landline cuz Verizon sux. I am in 4G - HAHAHAHA! - but no one here gets a phone call or makes one inside the house. Got to go outside. 1 bar here, and a cell tower just 2 miles away. Sux. Anyway, the basic Ooma is running me about $6 a month, free long distance in country, and the unit paid for itself in 4 months. My old phone bills were running $60-80.

I am paying less for Netflix, phone and Internet than I used to pay way back for cable TV alone. And that was at those prices. I am sure they would not be $85 for cable now. Prolly more like $150.

Hmmmmm, very interested....

I love DirecTV programming but NOT their "creeping up" prices.
I think my wife would be happy with any provider as long as she gets 2 Spanish channels (Univision and Telemundo), but losing the DVR.....probably not willing to ditch that....

I'm sure there are many OTA channels in HD around my area (zip 06770), is just a matter of taking the plunge and doing it to cut $120 worth of a bill in a monthly basis. :ft
From what I'm seeing, those two channels are do-able, only issue is that you would also need something to rotate the antenna since they are at different locations, and a very good UHF antenna too (one of them is -101 dB Pwr, which is about the furthest thing I can get). Now I'm using your zip code so that is a generic result. You could be up on a ridge or down in a bottom, which would make it easier/harder to get those two stations. You would need to enter your exact address, which I'm sure you don't want to share here or we'll all come and pilfer your wine the next time you go on vacation, which I'm assuming is in a few days or so. :)

You could easily cut the cord and break even within three or four months, buying a rotator, and really good antenna and having it installed. Or you could pay me a case of beer now, and one later, and I'd come up and do it for you.

And if you'd get a tracfone, you'd spend less per year than you do with a normal monthly plan on any of the biggie carriers. Works well for me, but I mostly text between me, the wife and the kids.

Last edited:
I was going to say that is some STRONG SO2!
Lol they were supposed to be in at the beginning of the month and they finally received them on memorial day. I am just glad to get them its been 3 years since we were able to get grapes from Chile

On further thought, maybe they were using the European date format with D/M/Y instead of M/D/Y. Perhaps my grapes were picked on the 2nd of April and not the 4th of Feb. Wishing I'd have taken a pic of the label...

From what I'm seeing, those two channels are do-able, only issue is that you would also need something to rotate the antenna since they are at different locations, and a very good UHF antenna too (one of them is -101 dB Pwr, which is about the furthest thing I can get). Now I'm using your zip code so that is a generic result. You could be up on a ridge or down in a bottom, which would make it easier/harder to get those two stations. You would need to enter your exact address, which I'm sure you don't want to share here or we'll all come and pilfer your wine the next time you go on vacation, which I'm assuming is in a few days or so. :)

You could easily cut the cord and break even within three or four months, buying a rotator, and really good antenna and having it installed. Or you could pay me a case of beer now, and one later, and I'd come up and do it for you.

And if you'd get a tracfone, you'd spend less per year than you do with a normal monthly plan on any of the biggie carriers. Works well for me, but I mostly text between me, the wife and the kids.

Sounds like that would be a good project for you to come and visit...LOL

I live up on a small mountain/hill, I think about 750ft above sea level. I gotta think about that option in a future....
Also, you don't need to visit for work, always welcome up in my neck of the woods if you ever are close by. :)

In the pic above they are using D/M/Y format.

On further thought, maybe they were using the European date format with D/M/Y instead of M/D/Y. Perhaps my grapes were picked on the 2nd of April and not the 4th of Feb. Wishing I'd have taken a pic of the label...

Latest posts

Back