Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need to show the plaque on the backside of that bench...

images

Well, la-di-da! ;)

Ironically, most affluent people are old and ugly. So such as us um...err... I mean they just buy the bench and burn it. :D.

Ordered Roses for Mrs IB off of Costco.com. Just wanted to pass along how beautiful these were as well as a heck of a deal. They were in Colombia one day and on my doorstep two days later. 50 roses (25 of each color) for $50 which included the shipping. They came packaged tight as a drum with no breakage. They also actually have a rose smell to them!

IMG_3131.jpg

IMG_3132.jpg

Last edited:
Before a few days ago, I had never heard or thought about where roses come from. Then I came across this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...dustry-valentines-day/?utm_term=.6bdc7e24e8d2

In rose beds, money blooms
How the rose trade lifted Colombia – and nearly erased an American industry

The majority of roses Americans give one another on Valentine’s Day, roughly 200 million in all, grow here, the savanna outside Bogota, summoned from the soil by 12 hours of natural sunlight, the 8,400-foot altitude and an abundance of cheap labor.

Thousands of acres of white-tarped greenhouses, some the size of several football fields, are crammed with seven-foot stems topped with rich red crowns. Many are pulled into warehouses by horses, chilled to sleep in refrigeration rooms, and then packed with other flowers onto planes — 1.1 million at a time — to be sold in the United States.

It’s peak season for a massive Colombian industry that shipped more than 4 billion flowers to the United States last year — or about a dozen for every U.S. resident.

The Colombian industry has bloomed thanks to a U.S. effort to disrupt cocaine trafficking, the expansion of free-trade agreements — and the relentless demand by American consumers for cheap roses.

The transformation demonstrates the barreling, often brutal, efficiency of globalization: In 27 years, market forces and decisions made in Washington have reshaped the rose business on two continents. The American flower industry has seen its production of roses drop roughly 95 percent, falling from 545 million to less than 30 million.

I live about 10 miles outside of Wellsboro, PA. Wellsboro held a Winters Celebration Day to attract folks to come to town. Main attractions for the day, as I saw it, was the cars that would be in the Winter RallySprint, ice carving, arts and crafts and chile tasting. If I got it right for the Chile tasting you got a card (don't know if this was free or you pay for it) and then went up and down Main Street stopping at different businesses (and at least on Church) to taste the chile. Maybe the cards were used to grade the chile?

Here are a couple of pics...

IMAG1485[1].jpg IMAG1489[1].jpg IMAG1491[1].jpg

Neat to look out the window Sunday and see the daffodils so high. Went out later and found some blooming next to the warmer rocked house.

27972822_10213753016473548_6855813417971500818_n.jpg

At the rate the grass is growing, I need to really get on finishing fixing this oil leak! Engine's on a bench now. Big teardown ahead.

27867380_10213747797423075_5799304710420973255_n.jpg

The Rio and the Sandia's with ABQ sandwiched in between.

28056260_1847504465320751_5666133860777795249_n.jpg
Lori and I have been looking around prescott and sedona AZ and the small cities/towns in-between but you keep posting all these beautiful New Mexico pictures so we may have to widen our search area for new home in the next few years. Care to suggest any smallish towns with decent size lots/land available and southwest pueblo kind of styled homes we might like start looking around it? Gallup looked kind of interesting just for the homes but my understanding is it's not the safest of areas statistically.
Mike

Pretty hard to beat either of those two places it all depends on what you need/want to have near you I guess. Housing prices, cost of living etc. Proximity to an airport and a good hospital is high on many list. NM is poor, very poor, like third world country poor in many areas. I would look at the Las Cruces/El Paso area as a possibility. ABQ and its surrounding area around the back side of the Sandia's is quite nice. Santa fe and its surrounding area towards Las Vegas is quite beautiful but pricey. Coming from the LA area you will have a difference in perspective of course especially on what constitutes a high price.

Just poke around on any of the websites like Redfin, Zillow or Trulia and they will show you plenty of possibilities on a daily basis.

Lori and I have been looking around prescott and sedona AZ and the small cities/towns in-between but you keep posting all these beautiful New Mexico pictures so we may have to widen our search area for new home in the next few years. Care to suggest any smallish towns with decent size lots/land available and southwest pueblo kind of styled homes we might like start looking around it? Gallup looked kind of interesting just for the homes but my understanding is it's not the safest of areas statistically.
Mike

Pretty hard to beat either of those two places it all depends on what you need/want to have near you I guess. Housing prices, cost of living etc. Proximity to an airport and a good hospital is high on many list. NM is poor, very poor, like third world country poor in many areas. I would look at the Las Cruces/El Paso area as a possibility. ABQ and its surrounding area around the back side of the Sandia's is quite nice. Santa fe and its surrounding area towards Las Vegas is quite beautiful but pricey. Coming from the LA area you will have a difference in perspective of course especially on what constitutes a high price.

Just poke around on any of the websites like Redfin, Zillow or Trulia and they will show you plenty of possibilities on a daily basis.
Thanks for the direction, I'll dig around a bit, appreciated it, M

I currently live in an apartment since I sold my house. While I'm looking for the next house. I have issues with my other hobby. (ham radio) In an apartment, I cannot exactly put up a large antenna to support the hobby.

I have a buddy who has a massive 130' antenna tower in his back (actually side) yard. I just bought a new Flex Radio 6400, but since I have no place to put up an antenna for it. He has offered to host my new radio while I keep searching for a new home.

Anyhow, I was at his house and took a picture from the base of his 130' antenna tower with rotator.

fWLH4FaFEMHX4uM2s5B5OH1ksKvShTPPjXmR8ncNXWXOrUBe-1lhJKS7Fh1WOCTj_Qbu08Z5u6nz2C13Cuy8EIeNKJQS_eQbtOmLFHkl7FyNzZw9Q6pNGlssQTHSNvxgjULNsn490Ek0IgsklbpwkjFBWA8OWOgw7HfgNSx6jnDsFMTuH4X1spqc3cpwUN-1vxi-fWWZckhLuzPNoR28qlX2cy_WWeTulTl7uLo71IA8awaLjKiYIVsiuQGK_vA1c9zvEYvBhlYAzXcgmYI5zKC_F54elrG68_p9HZTCXvka9fEm7XiVYbdadA0TPgE8w60Kkdj5kFi3RtfvWHRln0fPuy7wYhkC_qYKCepYW0dUqQuNzcfJrkuNPhrP4nn22tks0gLGFBeiX1HrOSqdA-EyRRrXGoPyrbbXazw7_-R8O9a1qcRq63nF7HFSwvx04qDfGA37MmfD2YyZLYg6UA83RzSyu1szQA1rGV2KJiDbe2zdO3lvMMUPZV5xiPAH6T2cvD5JW0Iuf80Xc61jY8EvtJg2_uBYgTP2rRZ6CVixRimZntylCWNp7GTGvNMyj-F9WbaPmcuQIJZzCDRGhHEZqgveJksXepAkfvfunqY_6F3MHohN5J6ctH28QOxT4rM2cwSRG62NKgu715QYV-FbeWiUU2akEQ=w731-h974-no

Are there any fun inexpensive hobbies. That tower must have cost a fortune.

The only one I can think of it probably knitting. Though to be honest. I could be wrong there too! The one thing I know is I have a lot of hobbies, and every single one of them are expensive as hell! (building / repairing electronics, playing guitar, making wine, amateur radio, astronomy, and astrophotography)

What space creatures is he trying to contact with that set up?
Well, he has talk to homo sapiens (NASA astronauts on ISS via 2m radio) in space. :)

The only one I can think of it probably knitting. Though to be honest. I could be wrong there too! The one thing I know is I have a lot of hobbies, and every single one of them are expensive as hell! (building / repairing electronics, playing guitar, making wine, amateur radio, astronomy, and astrophotography)

For me it's golfing, boating, baseball season tickets and winemaking of course.

Back