Post a Meme, any Meme! (no politics)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I started in construction almost 40 years ago, we used a thing called a Yankee that was similar but without the actual crank. It was spring loaded and you would push it in, the screw driver bit would turn, and then spring back when you pulled back on it. It was pretty wonky. I never used one myself but the old timers did when I started. Makita had just come out with the first cordless drill/driver. Based on a 9.2v nicad battery IIRC.

When I started in construction almost 40 years ago, we used a thing called a Yankee that was similar but without the actual crank. It was spring loaded and you would push it in, the screw driver bit would turn, and then spring back when you pulled back on it. It was pretty wonky. I never used one myself but the old timers did when I started. Makita had just come out with the first cordless drill/driver. Based on a 9.2v nicad battery IIRC.

Yeah, I used that growing up (and also the cranked one). My father was a telephone lineman/installer. I suppose the statute of limitations has expired sufficiently :) to reveal this, but my father stole all the tools we had growing up from Ma Bell. So we had lots of high-quality tools! I did not know the name "yankee drill," but we had them a-plenty. We also used a brace-and-bit, which I always thought was a proper name, Brason bit.

50J0502-two-jaw-brace-f-03.jpg

I've used one of those but we just called it a twist screwdriver.

Yeah, I used that growing up (and also the cranked one). My father was a telephone lineman/installer. I suppose the statute of limitations has expired sufficiently :) to reveal this, but my father stole all the tools we had growing up from Ma Bell. So we had lots of high-quality tools!

OMG. I thought it was just my father who did that. I still have a very nice Hilti Hammer Drill in the garage. And do you have any of the Bell First Aid kits?

1643657913433.png

Opus

OMG. I thought it was just my father who did that. I still have a very nice Hilti Hammer Drill in the garage. And do you have any of the Bell First Aid kits?

View attachment 84061

Opus

OMG Yes! We lived by those First Aid kits! The anitseptic was in breakable glass ampoules, right?

How about narrow, gray electrical tape? Did you have that around the house?

Latest posts

Back