Post a Meme, any Meme! (no politics)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On our honeymoon in Italy I had to do all the driving as we could only rent a stick shift car in Rome, which my wife did not drive, no problem. However, the car we got had a really weird feature I'd never seen before or since where you had to pull up a little mechanism just below the knob of the stick before it let you put the car in reverse. Not knowing this I found it impossible to put the car in reverse. So after I took a wrong turn leaving San Gimignano for our rented house in Umbria, I had to make my new bride get out of the car and push our little car so I could turn around. We were on a flat and empty road and it all worked out fine. But after that she pored through the owner's manual (written only in Italian) to figure out about the trick to allow me to put the car in reverse. From both her pushing without complaint (and with strength) and figuring out the reverse issue while I drove, I confirmed once again I'd married the right person.

On our honeymoon in Italy I had to do all the driving as we could only rent a stick shift car in Rome, which my wife did not drive, no problem. However, the car we got had a really weird feature I'd never seen before or since where you had to pull up a little mechanism just below the knob of the stick before it let you put the car in reverse. Not knowing this I found it impossible to put the car in reverse. So after I took a wrong turn leaving San Gimignano for our rented house in Umbria, I had to make my new bride get out of the car and push our little car so I could turn around. We were on a flat and empty road and it all worked out fine. But after that she pored through the owner's manual (written only in Italian) to figure out about the trick to allow me to put the car in reverse. From both her pushing without complaint (and with strength) and figuring out the reverse issue while I drove, I confirmed once again I'd married the right person.

Love that story!

I once went on a trip with my family of origin, 9 people in toto, to Ireland, where we supposedly had two cars with automatic transmissions waiting for us. Of course, they did not have any cars at all waiting for us. We mananged to get a van that could fit 9 of us, but it was a manual tranny. The Venn-diagram overlap of people that (a) could drive a stick, and (b) were willing to drive on the left side of the road, was just me and my father. I did a lot of driving that week... Shifting with your left hand is weird!

Latest posts

Back