Post a Meme, any Meme! (no politics)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yup , I STILL use round, back then i ran a band of 29 mares, registered APHA AND QH, all with round bales, YEAH some still use square, but most don't. i was learnt to wean with their heads tied, then after they were over milk fever, they are put in a barbed wire fence, the ground filled with rock and briars , and very well bred animals, no stalls, once mine were weened , they were were well educated for life, you only pamper a horse after they knew how to act right, the man i learnt from APHA REG # WAS 00000059, Joe Steel, Dont remember how many zeros but the only numbers was 59. he was the 59th member in the AMERIAN PAINT HORSE ADMINASTRATION , HIS QH was even older, but QH goes back long ago, my QH MARE an be traced back into the 1700's even further, but i got tired to go further, back then they were still open registry, 4 breeds hence the quarter horse, hehe now i got a paint and a QH and a fox trotter with papers up the yeng-yane, to breed a few mules, ole Joe is probably spinning in his grave, but my mares are in their 20's, never breed a mare till 3 coming 4 , you'll get more and better foals,
Dawg

Dawg, you ever hear the term "field horses"? That's what they call them here when they are fed rounds and left to browse grass with no supplements. Looks to me like that's the only way to go, why do all that hard work and extra expense? If you grow good grass, that's all they need.

My old neighbor, Stanley, had two over there before he died, and they were the sleekest, prettiest things you ever did see. Looked like a rich man had snuck over the fence and fed 'em Omolene every day.

Now I got new neighbors who bought the place, and my calving pastures are right on the line with them. The gal really liked seeing all those brand-new calves born, and she has two mares in her pasture. She has a son about 12 or so, and she's living with the guy over there.

The fella, his name is Chris - nice guy - he came over to the fence line one day while I was checking on a newborn, and he says, "You're lucky some ain't missing. She wants babies!"

I gave Chris the old walleye and said, "You can fix that, can't ya?"

That made him laugh.

"Hell, I can barely afford what I got now!"

😄

Last edited:
Dawg, you ever hear the term "field horses"? That's what they call them here when they are fed rounds and left to browse grass with no supplements. Looks to me like that's the only way to go, why do all that hard work and extra expense? If you grow good grass, that's all they need.

My old neighbor, Stanley, had two over there before he died, and they were the sleekest, prettiest things you ever did see. Looked like a rich man had snuck over the fence and fed 'em Omolene every day.

Now I got new neighbors who bought the place, and my calving pastures are right on the line with them. The gal really liked seeing all those brand-new calves born, and she has two mares in her pasture. She has a son about 12 or so, and she's living with the guy over there.

The fella, his name is Chris - nice guy - he came over to the fence line one day while I was checking on a newborn, and he says, "You're lucky some ain't missing. She wants babies!"

I gave Chris the old walleye and said, "You can fix that, can't ya?"

That made him laugh.

"Hell, I can barely afford what I got now!"

😄
i do keep minerals and salt. i feed my rounds in barns that i feed, that way every equine is handled some all the time, hay(mixed short grass) in the pastures i grow every type grass that will grow, like a good balanced meal, and yes i'm fixing to sell my buck board , my team of mules and my fox trotter, I'm keeping 1#- 6 year old Mollie mule and a john foal, my jack and a APHA MARE AN A QH MARE & 2 Dexter red cows, ,, all my animals are socialized
Dawg

i do keep minerals and salt. i feed my rounds in barns that i feed, that way every equine is handled some all the time, hay(mixed short grass) in the pastures i grow every type grass that will grow, like a good balanced meal, and yes i'm fixing to sell my buck board , my team of mules and my fox trotter, I'm keeping 1#- 6 year old Mollie mule and a john foal, my jack and a APHA MARE AN A QH MARE & 2 Dexter red cows, ,, all my animals are socialized
Dawg
don't get me wrong,, i do not socialize my animals because i am a hard worker ., nope, it is because the older i get. the lazier i get,,, i chase nothing, they see me hear they come, my Dad is going to be 89 in January, every time i go to have a hog or a bovine butchered, i walk to the trailer all one to walk to the trailer and jump right in i shut the door, at which time, Dad tells me there's something wrong with me and that I'm my moms son, because i did not get that from his side of the family, as for the equine, i call them into the barn, shut the door and worm them, my health don't allow me to chase down anything more then my next plate of biscuits and gravy,,, lol
Dawg

Latest posts

Back