Post a Meme, any Meme! (no politics)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we can conclude that the "time out" generation didn't produce as good of citizens as "ass beating" generation.

Nor did it produce citizens with any need for, or understanding of grammar. This was obviously written by a "time out" generation citizen whose elderly "grammar" from the "ass beating" generation didn't beat his ass for speaking grammatically incorrectly.

I think we can conclude that the "time out" generation didn't produce as good of citizens as "ass beating" generation.

Nor did it produce citizens with any need for, or understanding of grammar. This was obviously written by a "time out" generation citizen whose elderly "grammar" from the "ass beating" generation didn't beat his ass for speaking grammatically incorrectly.

I would prefer a comma after the first "of," rendering: "Nor did it produce citizens with any need for, or understanding of, grammar."

I also would like to see some hyphenation and different word-order choices to clarify whether "time" is modifying "out" or "generation" or "citizen." Thus, I would write:
citizens of the "time-out" generation.

I would prefer a comma after the first "of," rendering: "Nor did it produce citizens with any need for, or understanding of, grammar."

I also would like to see some hyphenation and different word-order choices to clarify whether "time" is modifying "out" or "generation" or "citizen." Thus, I would write:
I disagree about the comma, and “time out” and “ass beating” were quotes from the original post, otherwise they would not have been quoted. But hey, did I ever claim to be from the ass-beating (note the hyphen) generation?

I ain’t never had no ass-beating, but never had no time-outs neither! Just trying to be funny, although honestly, I was trying real hard to be grammatically perfectly correctly in that post, because I knew I would be asking for trouble.

Man, it sure is easier to not worry about grammar. 😉

OK, let’s stop talking about it. Someone, post another meme, please.

Okay, good! I agree with that. I am relieved that I can stop deciding between the Fowler (1926) and the Fowler and Gowers (1965) citation. I also am happy to forgo (NOT forego) a discussion of proper formation of attributive nouns (a.k.a., noun adjuncts, or is that nouns adjunct? :) ).

Okay, good! I agree with that. I am relieved that I can stop deciding between the Fowler (1926) and the Fowler and Gowers (1965) citation. I also am happy to forgo (NOT forego) a discussion of proper formation of attributive nouns (a.k.a., noun adjuncts, or is that nouns adjunct? :) ).
Well, I bow to your expertise. I consider myself relatively good with English grammar (that's not even right, is it?), but I didn't understand half of what you just said. Next time I will use the second comma! ,

Although, a 1965 edition of the original 1926 "A Dictionary of Modern English Usage" isn't very modern. LOL. Maybe I'll leave the comma out. ;)

... And here I am, still talking. OK, I'm stopping now. Try not to goad me into replying again, please.

Well, I bow to your expertise. I consider myself relatively good with English grammar (that's not even right, is it?), but I didn't understand half of what you just said. Next time I will use the second comma! ,

Although, a 1965 edition of the original 1926 "A Dictionary of Modern English Usage" isn't very modern. LOL. Maybe I'll leave the comma out. ;)

... And here I am, still talking. OK, I'm stopping now. Try not to goad me into replying again, please.
what you canucks scared to reply back????
tisk,,, tisk,,,
Dawg

Latest posts

Back