Post a Meme, any Meme! (no politics)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, people in the US complain but at least we don't have double-digit inflation like Europe does. I read the European media and I was amazed when they crowed that inflation was "down" to 10% in the EU.
Our inflation numbers and unemployment numbers are lower only because our government has "creative" ways of measuring them.

Yeah, it's all a giant conspiracy.
I assume that is a sardonic comment, Jim. I did not say anything about "conspiracy." I don't know the formula they use for measuring "inflation." In any case, it is only a number. What is really important to people is the money they have to spend. In my simplistic way of looking at it, I consider the price of essentials such as gas, food, clothing, utilities and shelter, and not the items bought with disposable income. I do most of the shopping for food in our family and I know that the prices of many foods are up 40% or more. Gasoline is up over 50%, interest rates and rent have spiked, etc. These do not portend an inflation rate of 8-9%.

Regarding unemployment, not counting people as unemployed who are not actively looking for a job is very convenient. By that "logic", if everyone stopped looking for work, our unemployment rate would be 0%. People who are getting government assistance that exceeds what they could earn on the job, without doing anything are unlikely to take jobs that pay the same amount or even a little more.

I assume that is a sardonic comment, Jim. I did not say anything about "conspiracy." I don't know the formula they use for measuring "inflation." In any case, it is only a number. What is really important to people is the money they have to spend. In my simplistic way of looking at it, I consider the price of essentials such as gas, food, clothing, utilities and shelter, and not the items bought with disposable income. I do most of the shopping for food in our family and I know that the prices of many foods are up 40% or more. Gasoline is up over 50%, interest rates and rent have spiked, etc. These do not portend an inflation rate of 8-9%.

Regarding unemployment, not counting people as unemployed who are not actively looking for a job is very convenient. By that "logic", if everyone stopped looking for work, our unemployment rate would be 0%. People who are getting government assistance that exceeds what they could earn on the job, without doing anything are unlikely to take jobs that pay the same amount or even a little more.
https://www.bls.gov/cpi/questions-and-answers.htm

But other than that, everything is just great! 😄 I was the one who said it's all a giant conspiracy – not you. :) Once enough people are thrown out of work, inflation will subside. We have not yet even begun to start to achieve that goal, but we are working on it. That's economics – a giant conspiracy! 🤣

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back