Possible strategy for potato leaf hopper??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

efBobby

Reaction score
All in all above ground pest were mild with the most troublesome being the Japanese beetle but I found a weed they love to eat and they just ate that instead of the grapes.

This year I will give the weed a systemic but also wanted to try another option as well. I forgot the plant's name(might just be common milkweed) but native pest know it's poisonous to eat however Japanese beetles are not native, will eat the plant and die.

While they were not abundant in numbers they were persistent as in I seen them all the way up until late October were the potato leaf hopper and while the sharpshooter itself isn't terribly harmful the secondary effects can be devastating operating as a vector for the dreaded pierce's disease!

Recently I found a solution for the above ground pest via systemic pesticide. Only issue there is the pest will still get 1 try!

Kinda pricey but i want to try venom.

Which leads me to 1 final question there. I see the potato leaf hooper has a broad host range but does it prefer potatoes?

Aka I could plant some potatoes as a lure and give them some systemic too so the hooper wastes its free shot on the potato instead of the grape?

Thanks in advance

Latest posts

Back