Possible solution to needing a small hydrometer.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G259

Reaction score
I make 1 gallon and 3 gallon wines, but the hydrometer bottoms out, so an accurate measurement is not available unless you use a testing unit. I have seen this question raised on 'other' wine blogs (google search), so I know that there is a need. I was thinking that possibly there was taller (thinner) buckets, that would allow the hydrometer to float free. If anyone sees such a thing, give a shout.

The article from Valley Vintner make it sound like switching my alcohol measuring process from a hydrometer to a refractometer should be a no brainer. Perhaps I'm set in my ways, but I am uncomfortable giving up a very familiar practice that has always worked for me. Also, taking specific gravity readings with a hydrometer is not as laborious as the Valley Vintner's article makes it sound.

Thanks for bringing this measurement alternative to my attention, however, as it made me rethink one of my wine making practices.

Testing tube and wine thief aren't that hard to use and clean. Sometimes the solution already exists and saves time and effort over the creative ideas.

All very true but I wonder why hydrometers are not also made in much smaller sizes with far smaller ranges of gravity, say from 1.130 - 1.080, 1.090 - 1.040, 1.050 - 0.090. All it would require would be a different mass at the bottom (and a smaller tube)

There are hydrometers made for different ranges etc., but these aren't readily available from the local home brew shop. This one I have is just an example, it's small compared to the standard range hydrometer on the left. Sg range is from 1.000 to 1.250, obviously this is an old one, really don't use it at all, indicates made in USA by ERTCO. When was the last time something like this was made in USA?......

Small hydrometer.JPG

There are hydrometers made for different ranges etc., but these aren't readily available from the local home brew shop. This one I have is just an example, it's small compared to the standard range hydrometer on the left. Sg range is from 1.000 to 1.250, obviously this is an old one, really don't use it at all, indicates made in USA by ERTCO. When was the last time something like this was made in USA?......

View attachment 55513

So of course I searched for "Ertco Hydrometers" and found a site (Clarkson labs) with this note: "ERTCO was bought out by Thermo Scientific and they turned over all sales for ERTCO products to Fisher Scientific who has discontinued all of them."

Most of the others I found were kinda ...Outrageously expensive BUT then I found this listing on Amazon (PERFECT FOR NEWBEES)
2 hydrometers
Testing Tube
Storage container
Brush for cleaning testing tube

https://www.amazon.com/Triple-Scale...&qid=1563235601&s=gateway&sr=8-11-spons&psc=1

Last edited:
I have 3 narrow-range hydrometers on my Amazon wishlist. Unfortunately each is over $30, and for some reason everyone selling a simple plastic case that can hold 3 in foam padding wants $90+ for the thing.

For those prices I can do a lot of wine thief pulls and testing. Since I mostly make 3 gallon batches now I don't even have to do the testing tube routine that often.

So of course I searched for "Ertco Hydrometers" and found a site (Clarkson labs) with this note: "ERTCO was bought out by Thermo Scientific and they turned over all sales for ERTCO products to Fisher Scientific who has discontinued all of them."

Most of the others I found were kinda ...Outrageously expensive BUT then I found this listing on Amazon (PERFECT FOR NEWBEES)
2 hydrometers
Testing Tube
Storage container
Brush for cleaning testing tube

https://www.amazon.com/Triple-Scale...&qid=1563235601&s=gateway&sr=8-11-spons&psc=1

That's a nice deal and it comes with a graduated cylinder that comes in handy for me when blending.

Back