possible H2S????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitten

Junior
Reaction score
ok so i bought an island mist blueberry pino noir kit and started fermenting 3 days ago... the temp has stayed between 68 and 74 degrees. the fermentation nnever not "violent" as i have heard many people say... it has been putting a few bubbles out of the air lock, but nothing major. i just checked on it and i smelled a very slight eggy smell.... did i do something wrong?

You are fine, it is way to early for an H2S problem to occur but to be sure give it a good stir now and a little yeast nutrient if you have some as H2S problems are a result of yeast being stressed from not enough nutrients or 02. If you dont have nutrient you could also throw a cut up banana in there but I really dont think you need this and are just not use to the smells that fermentation can release. I personally would just give it the stir and a tble spoon of nutient at the most!

ok so i gave it a good stir.. so the must should be able to breath during fermentation... i had an airlock on the primary should i leave it off? i had the whole thing pretty well sealed up and havent touched it since i threw in the yeast

It is good to give it lots of air, that being said I keep lid snapped down with airlock on every batch and have never had a problem.

Latest posts

Back