Possible accidental Easy Clean addition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottro

Junior
Reaction score
I was transferring 5 gal of Soave Classico to carboy for final aging. I think I may have added 1/4 teaspoon of Easy Clean instead of 1/4 teaspoon potassium metabisulfite. Is my wine ruined and how can I tell?

This is me just shooting from the hip. Easy Clean is an oxygen cleaner. I am thinking that 1/4 tsp in 5 gal is not a huge deal. It certainly won't kill you! I would taste it, and if it is drinkable, then drink. If it is not, then don't.

Thanks - probably not the worst blunder I could've committed - I think I'll also see if the pH or total acidity has been affected.

Further update: I asked the manufacturer, L.D. Carlson about it and they advised me to pitch it. I can’t imagine them giving any other response.

In any event I had a glass of it last night and it seemed ok so I’m planning to bottle it.
I was transferring 5 gal of Soave Classico to carboy for final aging. I think I may have added 1/4 teaspoon of Easy Clean instead of 1/4 teaspoon potassium metabisulfite. Is my wine ruined and how can I tell?

Not sure I understand the point of the MSDS sheet post - Most things we use even in our foods can be dangerous in high amounts or incorrect usage. If anything it lists chemicals that we know will have a very short active life for their intended purpose.

Recommended usage amount is 1 Tablespoon per gallon of water. 1/4 tsp is approx 1/12th the amount used to create a cleaning solution in ONE gallon of water vs the OP's 5 gallon batch or 1/60th the concentration to create a NO RINSE cleaner. It also breaks down rather rapidly being an Oxygen basic cleaner.

Given a couple months more aging and I doubt that any of that cleaner will even be present - chemically broken down.

In the end, it's OP's choice and if it was me.... I'll let it age and watch for any signs of issues.

Latest posts

Back