Quantcast

Possible accidental Easy Clean addition

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

scottro

Junior
Reaction score
I was transferring 5 gal of Soave Classico to carboy for final aging. I think I may have added 1/4 teaspoon of Easy Clean instead of 1/4 teaspoon potassium metabisulfite. Is my wine ruined and how can I tell?

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Reaction score
This is me just shooting from the hip. Easy Clean is an oxygen cleaner. I am thinking that 1/4 tsp in 5 gal is not a huge deal. It certainly won't kill you! I would taste it, and if it is drinkable, then drink. If it is not, then don't.

scottro

Junior
Reaction score
Thanks - probably not the worst blunder I could've committed - I think I'll also see if the pH or total acidity has been affected.

scottro

Junior
Reaction score
Further update: I asked the manufacturer, L.D. Carlson about it and they advised me to pitch it. I can’t imagine them giving any other response.

In any event I had a glass of it last night and it seemed ok so I’m planning to bottle it.
I was transferring 5 gal of Soave Classico to carboy for final aging. I think I may have added 1/4 teaspoon of Easy Clean instead of 1/4 teaspoon potassium metabisulfite. Is my wine ruined and how can I tell?

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker
Reaction score
Think they pretty much have to say that. Anything else in this day and age and the lawsuits fly. (Their perception)

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker
Reaction score

Not sure I understand the point of the MSDS sheet post - Most things we use even in our foods can be dangerous in high amounts or incorrect usage. If anything it lists chemicals that we know will have a very short active life for their intended purpose.

Recommended usage amount is 1 Tablespoon per gallon of water. 1/4 tsp is approx 1/12th the amount used to create a cleaning solution in ONE gallon of water vs the OP's 5 gallon batch or 1/60th the concentration to create a NO RINSE cleaner. It also breaks down rather rapidly being an Oxygen basic cleaner.

Given a couple months more aging and I doubt that any of that cleaner will even be present - chemically broken down.

In the end, it's OP's choice and if it was me.... I'll let it age and watch for any signs of issues.