Possibilities...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaink

Junior
Reaction score
I am hoping someone can shed some light on an a potential berry wine possibility. My wife has 40 jars of premium tart Evans cherry jelly that she made back in 2018. The jelly is still perfect in every sense however she has decided that she needs more space in the cold room for this years newer stock. The jelly is 100% berry juice, lemon juice, sugar, and pectin to set the jelly. Is there a way that the jelly could be used in a manner that would not see a waste of such fine berries. My theory is that the sugars and ingredients could be turned into a fermented juice although I am unsure of what effects the pectin would have upon the wine. Has anyone pondered this issue? Could this be overcome with certain amounts of opposing amounts of enzyme? Any information would be appreciate.

Hi Shaink and welcome.
In my earlier days of wine making I often made wine from jams and they can be quite delightful. As everyone has pointed out you may need to add pectic enzyme about 12 -24 hours before pitching the yeast to help break down the pectins. For the record, I recently watched some Youtube videos wherein the presenters suggested that you can make wonderful jams without adding pectins simply by increasing the cooking time, but if you wish to use pectins you are now committed to a very specific quantity of sugar that you need to add to work with the fruit and the pectins. Without added pectins you can make great jam with far less sugar... BUT - and here's the thing - for the wine maker like Shaink, the sugar that would have needed to added is now available for the yeast and so this jam may make a great substrate for your planned wine.

Back