Quantcast

Ports

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

rgonzales1981

Junior
Reaction score
Another wine I worked on with the left over concord this year was a chocolate wine, used one gallon of backsweetened concord with potassium sorbate already on board and added 20gm of lindt milk choc every 1-2 months in 3 additions until the hint of choc on the beginning of the taste was noted then filtered and bottled, made a nice dessert wine. May combine the choc with the port after reading some of these post!

Stevew1

Reaction score
It seems we are all trying out a version of this. I use a small 1 liter barrel to age my port. I have used different homemade wines, either red berry or peach brandy, some moonshine, homemade, it was given to me, and let it sit for 2-4 months. The small barrel size allows me to make 3-4 batches a year.

jburtner

Reaction score
I finally started my first small batch port this past weekend by blending some Cab Sav, Merlot, Syrah, and Malbec - all from grapes and bulk aging for 18mos-2yr range, bumping the SG to the 1.010 range, topping up with some stiff grappa brandy to about 20% ABV and have moved it into a small 10l oak barrel which previously had bourbon in it for further aging.... Bottled five 375's for testing and top-up. Think I'll test one again tonight :)

Wondering what folks might be doing to get a little dark chocolate in there?

Cheers,
johann

AdegaAguiar

Junior
Reaction score
Last year i made a port with my Petit Sirah. Added brandy when the wine reached an alcohol level of 8%. Added brandy soaked oak chips and a spiral toasted oak stick and let it set. Came out pretty good for my first try. Going to make a 5 gallon batch this year. What brandy have you all used to make Port?

Mario Dinis

Reaction score
Last year i made a port with my Petit Sirah. Added brandy when the wine reached an alcohol level of 8%. Added brandy soaked oak chips and a spiral toasted oak stick and let it set. Came out pretty good for my first try. Going to make a 5 gallon batch this year. What brandy have you all used to make Port?
I used São Domingos, 3 year old brandy from Portugal. If one's making a big batch like you, it can be pretty expensive at about 20 bucks per bottle. I only made a gallon and used two bottles.