Port won't clear

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today is two weeks in the fridge. Nothing seems to have happened. Looks the same as the day it went in.

I looked back to see if this had been suggested and didn't see it, if it was, mea culpa.

You might want to consider an extra heavy dosage of pectic enzyme. I had a pear wine once that I added pectic to the mix at the start, normal amount and never could clear, finally added a triple dose of the enzyme twice and it cleared up as clear as a bell. First time helped a little bit, then second everything was gone. I tried the test Jack Kellor suggests for pectic haze and they failed, but I was desperate. Pectic enzyme is one thing you almost can't overdo in adding, particularly once alcohol is present. Might be worth a shot. I did add it the way Jack Kellor suggests to clear a pectic haze, something like pull some amount out, add all your enzyme to that, stir, stir, stir, wait 30 minutes, stir more for a total of 3 hours or something like that. Then into your wine, wait 15 or 20 or maybe 30 days try again.

Thank you for the tip. I will definitely give this a shot, can’t hurt. I’m gonna take it out of the fridge now. I’d assume by Sunday it will be back up to normal temperature. I’ll add in the pectic enzyme then.

Latest posts

Back