Port wine kit recommendations

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have only made a few and tasted some others. The Black forest and coffee have strong flavour while some of the others like chocolate raspberry and oranae, not so much. I have a toasted caramel on the go now but have no opinion as yet.

cheers

I have do all the desert kits Carmel,coffee,black forest the best and most rewarding for me was the coffee port plus tweaks won many a best of show with this one.

Tonight I'll post the coffee port kit for you and the caramel port.also have the blackberry port. You chose

If I’m going to make one port wine kit, which one should it be and why?

What profile or flavor are you looking for?
I made the Raspberry chocolate, the La Bodega (from Mosti Mondiali), the Vanilla Fig and the toasted caramel.

I really like the Raspberry Chocolate. The La Bodega is maybe one of the most complete dessert wine kits out there and also excellent.

What profile or flavor are you looking for?
I made the Raspberry chocolate, the La Bodega (from Mosti Mondiali), the Vanilla Fig and the toasted caramel.

I really like the Raspberry Chocolate. The La Bodega is maybe one of the most complete dessert wine kits out there and also excellent.

I’m thinking a traditional port flavor profile. But, the coffee port is very interesting to me.

I’m thinking a traditional port flavor profile. But, the coffee port is very interesting to me.
I have a coffee port that @heatherd shared with me when we met down at Harford. I haven't had a chance to drink many of my wines, let alone others, so it's been aging in my basement ever since she gave it to me. I'd be willing to share a glass or two, but I get the rest of the bottle (if we finished it I'd be in no condition to drive home, I'm sure). Not sure which kit it is from, maybe she can chime in and enlighten us! According to the label it is of the 2014 vintage.

My biggest complaint with the port style is that at the end there is very little, if any of the grape taste left, it has all been covered up by the flavoring that gets added. I have made the caramel, coffee, and black forest ones. I did have a taste of the fog one that someone else made and it seemed to have more of the underlying wine taste.

These are desert style ports and arenot a true port . So why would you expect them to have a port or Taunny port finish they are what they are and can be a much better desert port with modifications,

From my experience with these kits the base wine is the same it's the fpac that changes and some modifications,that's it.

My biggest complaint with the port style is that at the end there is very little, if any of the grape taste left, it has all been covered up by the flavoring that gets added. I have made the caramel, coffee, and black forest ones. I did have a taste of the fog one that someone else made and it seemed to have more of the underlying wine taste.
I would like a traditional port kit, not a flavored desert kit. Any recommendations on how to make this, or a kit?

I have a coffee port that @heatherd shared with me when we met down at Harford. I haven't had a chance to drink many of my wines, let alone others, so it's been aging in my basement ever since she gave it to me. I'd be willing to share a glass or two, but I get the rest of the bottle (if we finished it I'd be in no condition to drive home, I'm sure). Not sure which kit it is from, maybe she can chime in and enlighten us! According to the label it is of the 2014 vintage.
I have made several of the RJS batches, and the coffee port is the best. This is the beverage that I gift to folks who have never had port, and believe they don't like it. They'll ask about what to do with left-over port and I just chuckle. Then they call me saying they drank the bottle and want more, and they think it's the best thing I ever made, and they want a case of it. It's one of the best things I have made in the last 6 ears. To summarize: just drink it @ceeaton and @jgmann67 (and take an Uber or an overnight bag).

My process:
-Ferment the 3 gallon RJS kit in a primary with lots of 1TBL oak powder and 1TBL espresso powder
-Rack to 3g carboy and add 1 heavy toast oak spiral
-Top up with commercial port
-Add kmeta when fermented to 0.990ish
-When clear add sorbate; this usually takes around 3-6 months
-Rack to a primary and add entire fpack and brandy/whatever fortification you desire to taste
-Bottle in 375ml - I generally get 32-36 bottles

It really does not need to age. This particular port is good at bottling time.

I've heard folks have trouble getting the WE kits to finish, but the RJS is super easy. I have made several coffee, caramel, black forest, raspberry mocha, and have vanilla fig on deck.

If I were to make a more traditional port-style dessert wine with minimal flavoring, it would be MM La Bodega.

Is there guidance out there re: how much brandy to add?

When I did my black forest, I used Brandy for topping up the 3 gal Carboy all the way thru the aging process, it seemed the easiest way. Probably ended up using between 500 and 750 ml. Not sure where my final ABV ended up but it turned out excellent.

When I fortify, I do a bench test to determine best flavor profile. I test with everclear and brandy as I’ve found sometimes I prefer everclear to brandy.

SctActua if done as prescribed topping off isn't necessary however when I made this one the first time the finding was good taste but no body second batch I added 1 lb. Of blackberries to the primary ( cooked down) after 8 mos. Problem solve next year this will take the place of my coffee port in competition.

Latest posts

Back