RJ Spagnols Port Wine from a RJS Dessert Kit?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I would like to make a port wine. I haven't seen any port kits available, but I was thinking i could modify one of the RJS CruSpecialty dessert wine kits for this purpose. I would probably choose either the Black Forest or Vanilla Fig. Would this work? Would it have the right consistency and mouth feel for port?

If I do try this, I know I must add brandy for fortification, but when exactly would I add it? Would it occur just before the "bottling" step? And then after adding the brandy, should I also add oak chips? And how long after adding brandy (and possible oak) should I age it before bottling? Any recommendations on the best kit to buy for this purpose? Thank you!

Try Southern Home Brew Supply or Label Peeler. the sponsor on this forum Home Brew Supply

All have a number of port wine making kits from RJS. I would assume a bigger search would find other outlets.

Last edited:
For my port style kits, I add brandy for bulk aging along with a oak stick.
There are some places where you can still get a vanilla fig and others.

I aged mine for at least a year before I bottled it.
I am bulk aging the vanilla fig right now, started like 2 months ago and it has brandy and an oak stick in it.

I guess I can't post links, but it rhymes with shmouthern shlhome brew

Thanks! I guess I'm confused about these "port wine" kits. All the kits I've seen are labeled as dessert wine kits, yet some places (like the "link" above) call the exact same kits "port wine kits". So I guess the ones I mentioned actually are appropriate for fortification into port wine?

Port only comes from one place. So manufacturers technically can't call these kits "Port". You'll see "Port Style" or "Dessert Wine" instead.

Latest posts

Back