Port in beer bottles?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
Not the most glamorous presentation, but I've only got about 20 splits and my LHBS is out of them. Any harm in putting some in 12oz bottles and capping?

Boatboy24 said:
Not the most glamorous presentation, but I've only got about 20 splits and my LHBS is out of them. Any harm in putting some in 12oz bottles and capping?

Not at all! The holidays are coming soon and that's the perfect size to give out during parties as party favors. Schnaz them up with nice labels and invest in brightly colored aluminum cap covers.

Well, looks like I'm OBE. I don't have any #8 corks, so unless I want to put the entire batch into beer bottles, it'll have to wait a few days.

Can you use the beer bottles with the wire caps? I am making skeeter pee with berries. I am not going to put any chemicals in the carboy and put 1/2 tsp of sugar in each bottle for some fizz.

tucson said:
Can you use the beer bottles with the wire caps? I am making skeeter pee with berries. I am not going to put any chemicals in the carboy and put 1/2 tsp of sugar in each bottle for some fizz.

Exploding bottles is what I hear. Just make it dry and strong and sober it up with lemon-lime soda on ice. There's yer fizz

With capping beer bottles, wires are not needed. Only with corks.
Add 5 to 6 oz of sugar to the carboy before bottling, when you add the sugar to the bottles you have issues of having sugar spill on the tops and you may not get a good seal. also silght differences in the amount in each bottle will give different amounts of carbonation. Adding the sugar to the carboy/bottling bucket you get even carbonation and less chance of bad seals.

Latest posts

Back