port. floor corker problem

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dralarms

Overboard as usual
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My brother bought a used port floor corker with the plastic/nylon jaws In it. Its cutting the rear of his corks and then the next bottle gets cork in the wine. I can't figure out how to adjust it. It appears the rear jaws are not moving enough before the plunger contacts the cork.

Please help.

The jaws come out and you can see if they are binding or not. There are screws that hold the jaw in place as well as the spring tension. Take a look at the edges of the jaws to see if they are sharp or deformed as they made need to be replaced. Typically this happens with the synthetics that they will possibly put a slight scoring mark down the side of the cork

Here is a great thread on this exact problem -
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f3/portuguese-floor-corker-5273/

I hope this helps ??

Last edited:
Have you taken the mechanism apart and cleaned it? Some times excess wine from previous bottling gum things up clean everything up and reassemble using a very light wipe of petroleum jelly.

Didn't get a picture, but what he did was take it apart and between the right rear piece and the metal part that pushes together he put a shim in, just a little thicker than a quarter.

I will have to keep this in mind since this is the corker that I have, thanks.

I’m needing help with my Portuguese corker. I’m new to corking and the corker is mangling the corks badly. I have no idea how to fix this problem. Any help?

Can you give the following details so we can help you better =

size of corks that you are using
type of corks you are using
picture of problem
type of bottle being used
are you putting them in dry or wet
Do you soak the corks

Thanks
Steve

Hi Steve
I don’t know what souse corks I am using as it came in a kit however I tried 3 different sizes and they all come out mangled. It looks to me like where the plunger goes in, it’s not sized to the right place for the bottle. It’s close to one side of the top of the neck. I also tried dry and wet. It is the same outcome. I don’t know how to describe the type of bottle. It’s my first batch of red.

60349664267__81B8562C-A67F-43BB-9B5C-EDA0CA9C5E90.MOV

Not sure if you can view this movie or not. Lol.

Hi Steve
I don’t know what souse corks I am using as it came in a kit however I tried 3 different sizes and they all come out mangled. It looks to me like where the plunger goes in, it’s not sized to the right place for the bottle. It’s close to one side of the top of the neck. I also tried dry and wet. It is the same outcome. I don’t know how to describe the type of bottle. It’s my first batch of red.

60349664267__81B8562C-A67F-43BB-9B5C-EDA0CA9C5E90.MOV

Not sure if you can view this movie or not. Lol.
Nope can’t view it. Take a picture of the cork, then the corker open and closed

A photo of bottle and a photo of bottle on corker would help. Also send photo of underside of corker where rim of bottle rests. Would be unusual but possible that corker has a manufacturing problem, bent metal or something. Some bottles, the very heavy ones, are larger than standard at the top such they the top of the bottle does not fit into the resting place at the top of the corker. Try a standard wine bottle. Also, bottle can’t be filled to top. Must leave room for cork plus about an inch of air space.

Latest posts

Back