Port — what to fortify with?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesdNorcal

Reaction score
I’m thinking of making a small batch of port with my remaining barbera grapes. I’m shooting to pick at Brix 28-30. Shooting for 5 gal of must and calc I need somewhere between .6 - 1.2 gal of Fortified something depending on the proof.

I’m a newbie..

my understanding is you fortify the must or (after pressing) with high 190 proof grape based alcohol at around 11-12

I can’t find the stuff. I saw online I can get 1 gal for $200 190 grape alcohol.

Other options icould find ...

Butcherton brandy 124 proof @ $55
Christian bro’s 100 proof brandy $22
Everclear 190 proof @ $18.

I was thinking I could do a blend of everclear and the butcherton or chis bro’s to save $$ but not all everclear?

Any other suggestions? Do you put the alcohol into the must or after press?

That’s what I was wondering. I know if I use 80proof brandy and maybe the 100proof it’s diluted too much. The 124 proof is expensive or I could buy the 1gal grape alcohol for $200. I was also thinking maybe a mix of the 124 proof brandy and 100proof brandy to save $$ and a little less dilution.

I’m thinking of making a small batch of port with my remaining barbera grapes. I’m shooting to pick at Brix 28-30. Shooting for 5 gal of must and calc I need somewhere between .6 - 1.2 gal of Fortified something depending on the proof.

I’m a newbie..

my understanding is you fortify the must or (after pressing) with high 190 proof grape based alcohol at around 11-12

I can’t find the stuff. I saw online I can get 1 gal for $200 190 grape alcohol.

Other options icould find ...

Butcherton brandy 124 proof @ $55
Christian bro’s 100 proof brandy $22
Everclear 190 proof @ $18.

I was thinking I could do a blend of everclear and the butcherton or chis bro’s to save $$ but not all everclear?

Any other suggestions? Do you put the alcohol into the must or after press?

James, I made a Port and used the Christian Brothers 100 proof brandy and it came out very well. It was a Brunello that got a little heavy and the Brandy did wonders for it. Do some bench testing with a bottle or two. If you find a recipe you like, scale it up for the entire batch.

Made multiple batches of Port styled wine and always used Brandy. Always very happy with the outcome and the flavor profile. It has never seemed thin or watered down in any way. I am a firm believer in using grape spirits and not grain spirits for fortification of grape wine.

Thanks guys. I think I’ll try and sample 100proof Christian bro’s and possibly add/test 1 bottle of the 124 butcherton.

do you guys put the alcohol in the must or after pressing?

Thanks guys. I think I’ll try and sample 100proof Christian bro’s and possibly add/test 1 bottle of the 124 butcherton.

do you guys put the alcohol in the must or after pressing?
after the ferment is done, the higher alcohol will stress your yeast and kill it, i only port come bottling day myself, and that's after bulk aging,
Dawg

after the ferment is done, the higher alcohol will stress your yeast and kill it, i only port come bottling day myself, and that's after bulk aging,
Dawg

If I am not mistaken, the OP is planning to make Port-style the traditional way, namely, stopping the fermentation before it is over by raising the ABV, killing the yeast. Thus, there will be sugars still in the must.

@JamesdNorcal , I wrote a spreadsheet that calculates what the Brix should be when you add the spirits, and how much spirits you should add, to get the ABV and sweetness you desire. If you are interested, see posts #45 and #52 here: Whole grape port

Latest posts

Back