Quantcast

Pop Up SPAM on WMT

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Is anyone else seeing this while perusing WMT? It only happens on my iPad. Only on WMT while using the Safari web browser. It is clearly SPAM and phishing as they want your info in order to send you your "prize". I have cleared all tabs and all cache in Safari which is a PITA as now it doesn't know anything anymore. Turned off and rebooted all to no avail. It came right back while surfing WMT. @TxBrew you might have some malicious code that has been inserted via hackers.

IMG_0114.jpg

Johnd

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Is anyone else seeing this while perusing WMT? It only happens on my iPad. Only on WMT while using the Safari web browser. It is clearly SPAM and phishing as they want your info in order to send you your "prize". I have cleared all tabs and all cache in Safari which is a PITA as now it doesn't know anything anymore. Turned off and rebooted all to no avail. It came right back while surfing WMT. @TxBrew you might have some malicious code that has been inserted via hackers.

View attachment 50284
Been happening to me too for a few weeks, same scenario, WMT, Safari, on my iPad. Cleared all my stuff too and can’t get rid of it. If you hit the “back” arrow, you can get back to the page you were viewing previously. There’s no way I’ve found to close or stop the dang thing from showing up.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Good to know it's not just me. If you click on the "close" button on the pop up you get a very real looking Amazon.com page where they want you to fill in all your PI. Nope, nope, nope........

I have been hitting the "X" to close the tab and it seems to go away for a while but then comes back. This does not happen on my laptop at home or desktop at work using the full blown versions of Safari in iOS X

Johnd

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Good to know it's not just me. If you click on the "close" button on the pop up you get a very real looking Amazon.com page where they want you to fill in all your PI. Nope, nope, nope........

I have been hitting the "X" to close the tab and it seems to go away for a while but then comes back. This does not happen on my laptop at home or desktop at work using the full blown versions of Safari in iOS X
Yep, exactly the same here. Maybe @TxBrew will get a chance to zap it, it’s localized here as far as I can tell.

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. I'll look into it.

dralarms

Overboard as usual
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Been seeing them for a while also.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
Seeing them in Safari on iPhone as well - not on Mac though.

AkTom

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I’m still getting it on I phone. I hit notifications button and can get in.

Johnd

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Hopefully, we’re rebooted with a spam free experience.......now if we could just get rid of those pesky ads...

AkTom

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I guess not enough inebriation for me. I just clicked on this post and got the “see you in 2 hours “.

FTC Wines

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I never saw those pop ups on my old IPad, got a new one 2 weeks ago & I now get them a lot! Roy

dralarms

Overboard as usual
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
He is working on it. I haven’t had one since the site came back up

Bts

Reaction score
There's a workaround. Mobile advertising is a cesspool, and slapping these bad actors down is a full time job at some companies. Not sure if WMT has the expertise/resources/contacts to do it. However, It looks like the ad spammer is targeting mobile safari, so switching to a different browser can avoid them. I've had no problems using chrome on my iPhone(you can go to the appstore and download it in a few seconds for free). Not the ideal solution to have to switch browsers for one site, but it'll get you by for the time being.

Last edited:

dralarms

Overboard as usual
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Doing again this morning