Pop Quiz - Yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This chart makes me feel so much better about my recent fermentations. I used Syrah on Syrah, AMH on Zinfandel. Both from juice- the progress was about what is on your chart. I was pretty concerned that I had done something odd- AMH went faster than I thought and SYR slower, based on ScottLabs descriptions of 'slow' and 'moderate'. I am interested in how MLF goes with the different yeasts- do you keep runs separately through aging, or press and age altogether in the same carboys?
As far as nutrient goes- I actually found no issues when I missed the last addition of nutrients for all yeasts- this was juice so might be different with grapes. I ended up using just the package suggested amount, when I had planned 1.5x as cmason1957 says.

Attached is my progress chart for a Tannat I have going. The pH is really low at under 3.2 and I was concerned about it's progress which is why I'm taking almost daily readings. The AMH per Scott Labs is a slow fermenter with a low nutrient demand. I was concerned about the AMH and Syrah and although they are slightly behind I'm really not concerned at this point.

This chart makes me feel so much better about my recent fermentations. I used Syrah on Syrah, AMH on Zinfandel. Both from juice- the progress was about what is on your chart. I was pretty concerned that I had done something odd- AMH went faster than I thought and SYR slower, based on ScottLabs descriptions of 'slow' and 'moderate'. I am interested in how MLF goes with the different yeasts- do you keep runs separately through aging, or press and age altogether in the same carboys?
As far as nutrient goes- I actually found no issues when I missed the last addition of nutrients for all yeasts- this was juice so might be different with grapes. I ended up using just the package suggested amount, when I had planned 1.5x as cmason1957 says.

Simply due to the quantities and carboy sizes I can't keep them separate. I wish I could but I just mix them together after press. I sometimes skip nutrients as well but with the low pH I wanted to take every precaution.

Latest posts

Back