Poor berry set

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a lot of that last year. The Penn State folks called it Millerandage and suggested petiole testing for trace elements possibly lack of zinc or boron. I did the petiole testing and didn’t have any nutrient deficiency. The other cause is a cool damp spring at the time of bloom and we had just that in 2021. Also called hens and chicks.

Attachments

• 906A7EA8-B5FD-490D-B0DF-325DD0012267.jpeg
    906A7EA8-B5FD-490D-B0DF-325DD0012267.jpeg
    722.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 29EF6233-7FE7-42BB-928C-76145C85E94C.jpeg
    29EF6233-7FE7-42BB-928C-76145C85E94C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I’m waiting for leaf tissue analysis, should have results in a couple days. I looked at my journal and at the beginning of flowering the temp spiked into the nineties and a lot of rain. I wonder if that had something to do with the poor set.

Rain will definitely be a problem at bloom. Since the grape bloom self pollinates, a lot of rain can wash the pollen away.

Thanks Fred for the kudos. I’m not sure if we are brave or stupid. I love growing things but there are constant hurdles. It is easier and cheaper to buy grapes!

Yes, thank you for sure… and I agree with you @VinesnBines… I have a super micro vineyard, carrying on the tradition of my grandfather. They are actually his vines transplanted. It’s definitely easier and cheaper to buy grapes. But growing his grapes is definitely satisfying and rewarding too.

Could be a nutrient deficiency or it could have been a weather related issue/cause at bloom set. I would think you have pretty decent soil in WI so perhaps it was a weather related issue this Spring.

I’m waiting for leaf tissue analysis, should have results in a couple days. I looked at my journal and at the beginning of flowering the temp spiked into the nineties and a lot of rain. I wonder if that had something to do with the poor set.
What did that analysis reveal? I’m thinking of doing it for my first year vines just to see what it shows.

Latest posts

Back