Pondering Lemon Juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvolf34

Reaction score
I have been thinking about this for awhile now. I am on my second batch of Skeeter Pee. People who have made anything with lemons know it can be difficult on the yeast.

So my thoughts are...

Why add the lemon juice in the first place? Does lemon juice actually ferment? Why not just mix up all your ingredients per the recipe wait for it to ferment out then add the lemon juice. I am thinking it might turn out better, by having your yeast not get so stressed.

Is there any reason the lemon juice should ferment?

You would have to make the wine a very high alcohol so when you added the lemon juice it does not dilute too much.

I would think that adding the lemon juice as per instructions adds to the whole quality of the flavor.

You might want to go to the skeeter pee site and ask Lon if he had this done during his creation of skeeter pee.

I don't think a bottle of lemon concentrate would dilute it too much and you might not even need all three.

IMHO I would say yes the lemon juice ferments. Fermenting juice/fruit/etc is what gives any wine a particular flavor. Something that is fermented is not the same as before; fermentation chemically changes a lot of the initial molecules into different molecules and it is this interplay of changes that make wine uniquely wine.

That's not to say fermentation makes it taste better everytime. Your method could easily make a clean wonderful drink, give it a try let us know how it goes and really if you try a 1 gallon skeeter pee you are not out much if it does not turn out well.

When making my lemon/ginger wine I have found (by trial and error) that back flavouring with lemon just makes it tart. I'm not sure why that should be but I get a flavour that is much more "true" if it is in the original must.

Thanks for the replies. I didn't know lemon juice actually fermented. I can see how having it in there or not can totally change the flavor profile, I might just do a 1 gal batch to see.

When making my lemon/ginger wine I have found (by trial and error) that back flavouring with lemon just makes it tart. I'm not sure why that should be but I get a flavour that is much more "true" if it is in the original must.

Yes, this sounds true as by adding lemon to the wine the flavour may turns tart and trial may gets affected so it will be better if we can just get some right update about this and if the preparation is right than it will not going to turn out the taste.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back