Pomegranate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrashPat

Junior
Reaction score
Costco has pomegranates in stock here in the NW, my wife and I picked up a few (36) a couple of weeks ago. They store really well so I'm OK with seeding them as I have time. 36 poms is ~55 pounds which results in ~18 pounds of arils, which I freeze to make juice extraction easy. I thought I would add this since I haven't seen many attempts using the fruit instead of POM juice.

Last year I used a recipe that was something like this (guessing, cannot find notes):
30 poms
3 quarts organic white grape juice (I hate raisins)
2 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
2-3 tsp acid blend
water to ~5 gallons
Sugar to 1.085
Champagne Yeast, I would have used Lavlin EC-1118

When bottling stabilize, sweeten to taste.

This was exceptional, but not what I expected at all. It was lighter and ready to drink quite fast, basically at bottling time (surprised due to the tartness of the must originally). I thought the overall flavor, etc worked really well with summer (what little we saw this year) and it was quickly consumed, we ran out in July I think.

This year I picked up 36 poms since I was able to empty a 6 gallon carboy (Hard in November!). I expect to run out about the same time of year next year, but seeding pomegranates is so much work that 2 batches is nearly out of the question.

I will start the same recipe in the next few days (thanksgiving weekend I guess), just scaled to 6 gallons yield. I may try sweetening some of it with pom juice instead of simple syrup as there was no overwhelming 'pom' flavor to the wine last year.

Thanks...I was slooking for a pomergranent recipe because we have two trees out back. Too late this year though. Might try again next year.

Thanks...I was slooking for a pomergranent recipe because we have two trees out back. Too late this year though. Might try again next year.

Hey Steve,

Here is a recipe for Pomegranate wine below-You can try this out.

12 Pomegranates
250g Barley (8.75 oz)
1.5 kilos Sugar (3.3 lbs)
2 tsp. Citric acid (2 teaspoons)
4.5 litres water (9.5 pints)
1 tsp. Nutrient (1 teaspoon)
One pack of Yeast (good for up to 5 gallons)
(K1V-1116 or Montrachet) or MAYBE a Champagne yeast for some "kick"

Clean and sterilize all of your equipment.
Clean the outer skins of the pomegranates and then finely chop.
Bring the water with the barley in it to a boil and simmer for 6 minutes.
Strain the water, removing the barley, onto the chopped Pomegranates in a primary fermenting bin. Add the sugar and the Citric acid. Stir the mixture well, put a lid or cover on the bin and allow to cool to room temperature or about 6-8 hours.

After cooling, add nutrient, stir and wait 24 hours then After 24 hours prepare yeast and add to must. Ferment the pulp for about 5 - 7 days gentley stirring once a day.

After 5 - 7 days, strain the liquid into secondary fermenter and attach airlock.
Rack after 30 days and again attach airlock. Bottle the wine when fermentation has stopped. Further racking before bottling will help to clear wine if needed.
Age 12 months. (may be ready in 6)

cheers!

pom wine

v

now that sounds like a winner of a fryit to try juice extraction with..............keep us inform...........:br

Is this recipe using the whole pom. - outer skin and all?

Hi.. Bailey... As I mentioned in my recipe that clean the outer skins of the pomegranates and then finely chop. It clearly tells that we do not use outer skin in the wine as it makes its taste bad. So if you make your wine without skin it will taste fantastic.

I just picked up 20 poms at our Krogers for one dollar per. I am looking at recipes and was wondering why some of them have barley as an ingredient?
Thanks

CrashPat, I went back to the store and picked up another 16 poms (36 in all) and am working on getting them all seeded and in the freezer. I'm interested in trying your recipe. If you find your notes or think of anything else that goes into the batch, please post it. As you know, seeding these things takes some work so don't want to mess this up!
Thanks!
Sue

Looking around, I started with this recipe:
6 pomegranates
1 pound raisins
4 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoon acid blend
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 teaspoon yeast nutrient
1 campden tablet
1 package wine yeast
water

But I subbed white grape juice for the raisins, which will make the body suffer a bit, but I was looking for something that was light bodied. So that recipe became this one Note that I cut the acid blend down, I'm not sure why the recipe wanted so much, pomegranates are very tart. I guess you could measure, but I'm no chemist. :)

36 pomegranates, seeded (~18-20 lbs of arils)
3 quarts organic white grape juice
2 tbsp acid blend
2 tbsp yeast nutrient
1 tbsp pectic enzyme
Water to ~6.5 gallons
Sugar (SG to 1.085)
5 Camden tablets
Champagne yeast (Lalvin EC-1117 in this case)

To seed the pomegranates it works best to cut them in half crosswise (think the stem as the axis, cut the equator). Then fill a big bowl with water so you can pull the seeds out under water, the seeds will sink and the pith will float. After seeding I always freeze them so the ice crystals will do the crushing work for me.

Mine still hasn't made it from freezer to fermenter, maybe this weekend though. I've been lazy.

Thanks CrashPat for your response! Once I get these things seeded and frozen for a while I'm going to get started.

Latest posts

Back