pomegranate wine (how does this sound?)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twissty

Reaction score
I aquired about 14litres of Pom juice the other day.

It's a few days past it's expiration date, but it tastes ok, so I decided to try some pomagranate wine.

7 litres of pom juice + water to 6 US gallons,
white sugar to 1.080 SG,
5 campden tabs, crushed and dissolved
yeast nutrient (i forget how much, but it was according to package directions)
Lalvin EC-1118 champagne yeast.

I thought about adding a pinch of acid blend, but i dont have the means of testing acid content. The must tasted ok to me, so i left it out.

Any suggestions or comments?

Was the juice concentrated to begin with? Thats a lot of water if it was straight strength.

If you are not sure about the acidity of the wine I would hold off until it is completed. If it tastes a little flabby or flat then acid is needed. I have never made a pomagranate wine so I don't know which type of acid to add if needed.

Was the juice concentrated to begin with? Thats a lot of water if it was straight strength.

The S.G of the juice itself was 1.070

I've still got a couple of litres of undiluted juice left that I froze and a 6.5 gallon carboy, so i could top up with straight juice next time that I rack it.

This stuff took off quickly, and was ready for the secondary after only a few days.

My approach was to treat it like a fruit wine. My wife likes wine a bit on the lighter side, so I was aiming for something moderate, around 10% abv or so

This sounds delicious. I love pomegranites, but the Pom juice is so expensive. Is there a source to get it inexpensively in bulk?

This sounds delicious. I love pomegranites, but the Pom juice is so expensive. Is there a source to get it inexpensively in bulk?

It retails here for about $10-$12CDN for a 1.4 litre container, so you're looking at about $50-$60 for 7 litres of juice in this recipe.

The other ingredients would be less than $10, so the total would be similar to a low -to mid range wine kit. When you figure the price per bottle, it's really not that much.

All I need now is some patience to let it work itself out and see how it turns out!

Well.. I racked it off yesterday and it's looking quite promising. It's clearing nicely and has a nice colour to it. sg is now 1.000, so it's about 10½% alcohol. It's fairly light in body, but thats what I was going for. I'm glad I didn't add any acid blend. I'll probably let it age in bulk over the winter and then bottle it so it's ready for summer. Maybe I'll even try sweetening and carbonating a few bottles.

P1030816 (2).jpg

I have a wine aging right now that was made out of the
arils from 30 handpicked pomegranates, 6-7lbs of Red Grapes, 1 tangerine, 1 1/2 grapefruits, 2 lemons and 3 plums. its looking nice can't wait for the day I have m first drink. that just about how mine looks. its kinda red-orange, but purple when in the carboy.

Last edited:
I bottled it tonight!

Very nice colour. Right now it tastes very much like a zinfandel. It should be awesome by summer.

Last week I added Sorbate. I filtered it through a #2 filter when I bottled.

P1030836.JPG

Looking and sounding great Twissty, congrads. Read quite a few threads in here regarding pomegranite wine, and it is spoken highly of.

made pom wine from concentrate
needed to add acid and some syrup.
turned out ok but wouldn't clear
I put the bottles out in freezing weather upside down.
cleared beautifully taste was wonderful

Latest posts

Back