Pomegranate ph 2.9

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken914

Reaction score
Recipe:

- 2.5g Costco pomegranate juice
- sugar to 1.085
- 2 tsps yeast nutrient
- 1 package of Red Star Pasteur Champagne yeast
- 1/4 tsp tannin

The wine is in the carboy. Took a sample today and it's *very* tart. I broke out my pH meter and got a reading of 2.9.

How can I remove some of the acid? I'd like to solve this before I add my f-pak.

DJ,

Thanks for the reply. I added Potassium Bicarbonate (3tsp) and then cold-crashed the wine with some creme of tartar. Will leave it there for 3 weeks.

The instructions say to bottle the wine before it warms. Is that a must-do or can I rerack and let it bulk age? I can't keep the carboy in the fridge indefinately.

You may need to rack off any sediment and acid but yes you can let it bulk age in the corner somewhere

How different will pomegranate juice be from fresh pomegranate? Will there be a difference in taste? I've heard a lot of great things about pomegranate wine but I don't have fresh ones.

I have not really fooled around with fresh pomegranate, but it seems that it would be easier to use the juice. I don't what kind of pulp would be involved. As far as taste I would think juice would have a more concentrated flavor. I am sure someone can clarify for us.

I have not really fooled around with fresh pomegranate, but it seems that it would be easier to use the juice. I don't what kind of pulp would be involved. As far as taste I would think juice would have a more concentrated flavor. I am sure someone can clarify for us.

I once saw a recipe using fresh ones. It looks legit and the dude who posted it was pretty happy with the results. I'll post it here if I find it so I can get your opinions.

Okay... it's been 3 weeks. My pom wine has gone from 2.9 to 3.3.

I racked it while cold and put it back in the fridge. Tomorrow, I'll start the process over again, by adding another dose of cream of tartar and see if I can get it up to 3.6.

Back